Stove / chimney problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a rather frustrating problem that I hope someone with a bit of knowledge may be able to help me out with.

Last year we installed a Villager multifuel stove into our front room. The output I believe from memory is 18kw. The lounge could be heated by a 5kw one as it is only 5m x 4m but we wanted an oversized stove with the intention of leaving all the doors in the house open and it warming every room.

We didn't fit a liner, we just cut a hole in the fireproof board above the stove and put the 6" outlet through the hole into the chimney.

When we installed the stove there was still the gas fire metal chimney terminal on the chimney, which looked something like this:
liner_gas_gc1_225.jpg

I thought I'd have to get it replaced with a proper chimney pot but tested the fire with it still on - it worked perfectly, it became very hot and when we opened the door to the bottom of the stairs to let the heat spread the temperature on the central heating thermostat rose to 24.5 degrees (in the stairs.) So it seemed to work fine with the gas terminal on, it heated the whole chimney breast and the wall in the bedroom above. We fitted smoke and CO2 detectors around the place to make sure there was no leakage.

Anyway fast-forward to this winter and in November we lit the stove and it didn't get very hot at all in fact with the doors open smoke would come out of the front of the stove rather than up the chimney. I put this down to two possibilities - first the chimney may need sweeping and secondly the gas fire terminal may be getting clogged and restricting flow.

We had a proper roll top chimney pot fitted and then had the chimney swept and the inside of the stove cleaned out.

This had the effect of stopping smoke spilling out the front when the doors were opened but it still doesn't get anywhere near as hot as it did before, in fact with a similar outside temperature the reading in the stairs is only 17 degrees now. And the wall in the bedroom doesn't get warm at all.

It's as if the chimney pot has ruined the system that we had, but obviously I didn't want to leave the gas terminal on and in any case it has started to cause smoke to come out of the stove (although when I inspected it after its removal there was hardly any soot on it.

I am really stuck - the 18kw stove is just about heating the lounge with all the doors shut, when a 5kw one would do it easily - I have tried different fuels, good quality smokeless coal and also kiln dried logs but at the moment all it seems is that I am throwing money up the chimney.

Can anyone explain what could be causing such a big difference to what it was like before? I am suspecting a chimney problem particularly because the wall in the bedroom no longer gets warm where as before it was warm enough to heat that room.

Any help very gratefully received.

Jay.

[/url]

Sponsored Links
I am not n exp[ert on wood stoves so this suggestion may not be correct.

But I wonder if the smoke is exiting the chimney too fast and not "hanging around" long enough to transfer as much heat!

Coupled with a greater draw then more cold air is entering the room so its not getting as hot!

Tony

Yes I was thinking along similar lines - maybe throttling the chimney will improve its performance?

Sponsored Links
Firstly the chimney is wrong. As stated you can't put an 18kw stove in chimney without a liner.

Second you tested it in summer everything warmish.

Now you have cold conditions and the brickwork of your your chimney
is ice cold. The ice cold brickwork is cooling the exhaust gases
enough to slow the draw down and this reduces the fire rate.
Hence you open a door and the exhaust gases find is easier to fall down the chimney and into the room.

My advice would be
1. Get it installed by someone who knows what they
are doing with multifuel stoves.
2. My own preference a nice gas fire. :)

This is either a wind up or the OP should get a CO alarm PDQ :eek: and start saving £1000+ for a hetas bod to fit a liner :idea:

do you realise your stove must comply with part j this includes a class1 liner and other requirements
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/buildingregulations/approveddocuments/partj/approved[/QUOTE]

I know dozens of people that have stoves without liners. None of them have died yet.

They won't. Just the same as with oil boilers. The reason being
that coal and wood burn dirty. Smoke etc. If it is getting into
the room you know about it. Result no one dies.
Gas it burns clean you don't know about it.

and start saving £1000+ for a hetas bod to fit a liner

I know builders at the moment who would take down the entire chimney and rebuild it for a thousand notes. (or should that be coins) :mrgreen:

Villager don't even make an 18kw multi fuel stove.

Have you checked the condition of the baffle - thats the heavy plate suspended in the top of the stove that deflects the hot gases around the stove before they go up the lum?
There should be clearance at the sides and front.
Edit: Is that really an 18kW stove?
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back