New switched spur off the ground

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What would the height from the ground be for a new switched spur be please?

Sponsored Links
Current regulations only apply to new builds and complete refurbishments.
If you really want to do this, it's above 450mm and below 1200mm.

Sponsored Links
upload_2018-12-9_18-52-12.png

Will anyone in the house ever be fat or pregnant, or have a bad back or bad knees?

Will one FCU make any difference to that person?

I'm all for practical help, but this is not likely to make a difference to someone's life. Unless the OP knows different.

perhaps, after he's done one, Mike will get a taste for it.

It won't hurt to know who benefits.

What would the height from the ground be for a new switched spur be please?
Let Hc be the height of the ceiling above the floor, and Dac be the distance from the accessory to the ceiling, then the height from the floor of the accessory will be (Hc - Dac).

If you really want to do this, it's above 450mm and below 1200mm.
In fact don't even apply to complete refurbishments. Only to new dwellings which would be new build or conversions from another use.
You can't make them worse than before though, so no lowering sockets that are already low

The heights are only recommendations.

There is nothing regarding heights stopping people doing whatever they want in their own house.

I am not saying I would refuse on principle but if someone were having a house built for themselves then it is up to them.

Where such recommendations are treated as unalterable gospel leads to questions like "Am I allowed to have a socket higher than 1200mm. for a television set?" etc.

I am not saying I would refuse on principle but if someone were having a house built for themselves then it is up to them.
The law says otherwise.

Where such recommendations are treated as unalterable gospel leads to questions like "Am I allowed to have a socket higher than 1200mm. for a television set?" etc.
That's true.

But if you're building a house, how much of an enemy would you want to make of Building Control over guidance vs actual mandatory requirements?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back