New System Advice & Glasgow Recommendations..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just looking for some advice/opinions..

I moved into a house earlier this year with an old gravity fed system. We have a tank in the loft, a cylinder/immersion heater in landing cupboard and a system boiler on its a last legs downstairs. We have 2 bathrooms, one shower has a very noisy pump and good pressure, the other has no pump and very low pressure.

From the kitchen tap we have a 22mm pipe at the stop cock but then changes to 15mm pipe for the rest of the house.

I've had 4 guys out and all have said they are happy to install unvented cylinder but I'm concerned about pressure and flow rate not being good enough. 1 guy has recommended a Viessman storage combi, another has recommended sticking with gravity fed. Nobody seems to have experience about accumulator or keen to fit one.

I have bought a pressure gauge and Weir cup to do my own checks and getting 2.1/2.2 bar and 15ltr/min on the outside tap.

Can anyone recommend based on the above what in their opinion would be best way to go for a new system?
Also if anyone can recommend any engineers in Glasgow as I'm not too confident in anyone I've had round so far... only 1 bothered to check flow rate and said it should be fine...

Sponsored Links
Are you getting 2.2 bar with the tap running, or is 2 2 your static pressure? @ianmcd is Glasgow on your patch?

Personally I'd stick with the gravity system renewing the cylinder if necessary and ensuring the cold water storage system in the loft is insulated properly. I work for a boiler manufacturer based in Hillington so bad form to mention which but a system boiler replacement seems the easiest upgrade. Replace shower pumps as necessary or change to a combi or storage combi for much more money, maintenance and the installation of an electric shower in order you keep clean in case the storage combi breaks down. Unvented brings maintenance charges each year if looked after properly.

You really need a comprehensive test performed on your mains to understand what is achievable. If your mains is only delivering just over 2 bar @ 15L/Min then your on the low side for an unvented. Have you been in touch with Scottish Water to confirm what your mains can deliver?

An accumulator can be a pretty large piece of kit especially if it's to supply 2 bathrooms and does run out once the accumulated pressure is used up, which can be pretty quickly when 2 showers are running.

Roughly where in Glasgow are you?

Sponsored Links
1. As stated above 15 lpm is on the low side for an unvented cylinder.
2. You state you measured the flow on an outside tap. Does this have an isolation valve between it and the mains, because if so this can severely limit the flow rate.
3. As Madrab says, you need a comprehensive test on what you have before opting for a particular solution..

Thanks for all replies...

Are you getting 2.2 bar with the tap running, or is 2 2 your static pressure? @ianmcd is Glasgow on your patch?

Thats 2.1/2.2 with the tap running. Thanks I'll try contacting ianmcd

You really need a comprehensive test performed on your mains to understand what is achievable. If your mains is only delivering just over 2 bar @ 15L/Min then your on the low side for an unvented. Have you been in touch with Scottish Water to confirm what your mains can deliver?

An accumulator can be a pretty large piece of kit especially if it's to supply 2 bathrooms and does run out once the accumulated pressure is used up, which can be pretty quickly when 2 showers are running.

Roughly where in Glasgow are you?

In Lenzie, from speaking to neighbours it sounds like it might be common to the area with the lower flow and pressure.. I will try getting in touch with SW, thanks.
Thanks for the info on accumulator, the more I hear and read about them the more they sound like a less appealing option.

1. As stated above 15 lpm is on the low side for an unvented cylinder.
2. You state you measured the flow on an outside tap. Does this have an isolation valve between it and the mains, because if so this can severely limit the flow rate.
3. As Madrab says, you need a comprehensive test on what you have before opting for a particular solution..

Nope, there is no isolation valve between where mains and the outside tap. Understood on comprehensive test. I'll look to get in touch with the water board for this.

Ah ok, are you at the Kirkie end or the Auchenloch end? I take it with it being an older system you're in one of the older houses? You may find you have an older supply which may limit what you can do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back