new system including boiler, cylinder and solar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I moved house recently and want to update the heating system & hot water system.

My current setup has one 17 year old potterton kingfisher 37KW boiler in garage.
A small hot water cylinder in the loft and a heat exchanger to heat a 30' x15' indoor pool.

My house is a true bungalow with three bedrooms 1 x bath and 2 en-suites

The current boiler has no problem heating the house and pool.

My problem is that the showers are pathetic with very little flow and the boiler I am told by BG is at risk due to no ventilation in my garage.
BG also said it was not very efficient, 78% when new.
They are refusing to offer a maintenance contract.

The GB have informed me that my gas and water pressure would support a mains pressure system

I have been searching and reading on the net for the past week and the more a read the more confused I am getting.

What I need to know is the best type of system to meet my needs.

Unvented Mains Pressure or Vented Mains Pressure?

Megaflow or DPS Pandora or THERMAL STORE or ?

System type boiler? And which one? Greenstar? one boiler or two?

I would like to achieve the cheapest of running cost but not at the expense of massive installation/product costs.

Heat the pool with solar panels possibly using the current heat exchanger and if possible supplement the house and water heating with solar.

Thanks
ivaninch

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
My thoughts are save the money on solar, it is pony and trap as a hot water source. It won't heat the house with rads, ever. If you put in UFH and massively uprated your insulation you could put in a Ground Source Heat Pump.

Easiest and cheapest solution is a circa 37kW boiler (such as a Vaillant 637, or a Viessmann 35kW 200W) feeding an unvented HW cylinder and a heat exchanger.

Consider a GSHP for the pool or loads of solar panels if you want to be green. Either way you should invest in a thermally efficient pool cover if you do not have one.

If the pool is indoors you could invest in a heat recovery unit.

This forum is only going to generate more options and really your best bet is to get two contractors round and canvas their opinions.

My opinion is only worth at best 20% of someone who has had the benefit of meeting you and seeing the property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back