New System Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As Breezer and LV will in particular know, I have been tussling with trying to install a new system in my recently moved into house
There is an existing scantronic 9100 system and I have now had a quote for a complete new system (some companies were going to use the old cabling for a similar price)

The system that my "preferred supplier" (for the moment that is :LOL: ) is as follows. I appreciate this is really long but am looking for any help or feedback
The quoted price in the first year is 837 plus Vat as mentioned 2 other quotes have been similar in price but have not included new cabling):

DETECTION DEVICES:-

ZONE 1 ENTRY/EXIT ROUTE

1 Front door to be fitted with a surface magnetic contact.
2 Rear door to be fitted with a surface magnetic contact.

ZONE 2 WALK THROUGH
3 In the hallway, a Guardall M2 Passive Infra red movement detector with creep zone having a range capability of 15m and an angle of coverage of 90 degrees, installed in the front left hand corner at an approximate height of 2.5 metres.

ZONE 3
4In the formal lounge, a Guardall M2 Passive Infra red movement detector with creep zone having a range capability of 15m and an angle of coverage of 90 degrees, installed in the rear right hand corner at an approximate height of 2.5 metres.

ZONE 4

5In the dining room, a Guardall M2 Passive Infra red movement detector with creep zone having a range capability of 15m and an angle of coverage of 90 degrees, installed in the rear right hand corner at an approximate height of 2.5 metres.

ZONE 5

6In the kitchen, a Guardall M2 Passive Infra red movement detector with creep zone having a range capability of 15m and an angle of coverage of 90 degrees, installed in the front left hand corner at an approximate height of 2.5 metres.

ZONE 6

7In the family room, a Guardall M2 Passive Infra red movement detector with creep zone having a range capability of 15m and an angle of coverage of 90 degrees, installed in the front left hand corner at an approximate height of 2.5 metres.

ZONE 7

8In the first floor landing , a Guardall M2 Passive Infra red movement detector with creep zone having a range capability of 15m and an angle of coverage of 90 degrees, installed in the rear left hand corner at an approximate height of 2.5 metres.

ZONE 8

9In the porch/sun room, a DT7550 dual technology movement detector having a range capability of 15m and an angle of coverage of 90 degrees installed in the middle of the wall at an approximate height of 2.5 metres.

SIGNALLING DEVICES:-

10A self powered twin siren in a polycarbonate housing, complete with rechargeable batteries and anti tamper device and xenon flasher unit, will be fitted on the external front elevation at an approximate height of 4 metres. To ensure compliance with the control of noise order 1981 the external audible alarm is to automatically silence after 20 minutes.

11A decoy polycarbonate housing will be fitted on the external rear elevation.

12The method of alarm signalling is by a "Digital Communicator" transmitting to the remote 24 hour manned communication centre via the existing telephone line. Intruder alarm activations to be advised to the local police. However should the police receive an excessive number of false activations then response may be withdrawn. It is therefore in your interests to be aware of the causes of false activations and to minimise them. Advice on how to avoid them will be provided for you. A line fault monitor to be incorporated. Within 48 hours of your alarm coming into operation you have a duty to inform both the local police and the environmental health authority of the system keyholders.

The European standard requires your signalling to test its signalling path & to facilitate thus a twenty four hour test is sent via your telephone network to the alarm receiving centre.

NBThis equipment has a REN (ringer equivalence number) of 1. The total sum of the apparatus must not exceed 4, ie 3 other pieces of apparatus.

13 An extension speaker to be fitted adjacent to the front door.

CONTROL EQUIPMENT:-

14A Galaxy 2/20 12 zone expandable to 20 Zone end station control unit to be fitted adjacent to the mains. The control unit will operate from the 240-volt mains supply and will contain a rechargeable battery for back-up power. The control has the following features: -

23 USER CODES
387 EVENT LOG
4x16 ALPHANUMERIC DISPLAY
BACKLIT KEYPAD
ON BOARD COMMUNICATOR
TIME & DATE DISPLAY
GROUPS 3 + 1 COMMON GROUP

15 A Microtech Galaxy Liquid Crystal Display remote keypad (Type A) with a prox tag reader to be fitted adjacent to the rear door.

16 A Microtech Galaxy Liquid Crystal Display remote keypad (Type A) with a prox tag reader to be fitted adjacent to the front door.

17 Three prox tokens to be supplied for setting/un-setting the system.

Sponsored Links
From what your saying if that is also including cabling then that quote seems ok. Without knowing the exact layout of the house it's difficult to say but that seems to cover all the bases. It sounds like a very well specced system for a domestic installation

Thanks LV

I forgot to say the company are NACOSS Gold-I assume that this gives some sort of reliable indicator that they are quite a good firm?

Nacoss Gold is the Generally accepted certification body there are others SSAIB for example but NACOSS are the ones to have. It means the company is reguarly audited not just on quality of installation but also paperwork and documentation.

See here www.wssco.demon.co.uk/nacoss/

Gives a good indication of what they have to do to be members.

Also worth giving your home insurers a call once the system is in you might be inline for a reduced premium

Sponsored Links
Will your audible siren sound the instant a detection occurs? Or will there be a silent signal sent to the monitoring station and then on to the police?

If the alarm is audible straight away - then why bother with the police link? They'll be long gone before Plod arrives (usually about 20 minutes).

If the alarm communicates with the siren silent (in the hope of catching them in the act) then they'll have taken what they want and be long gone before Plod arrives

Keep it simple and cheap - you get nothing useful for the big bucks.

NO,NO,NO and again NO

don't tell your insurance company, you will be on a slippery downward slope if you do that.

Yes they will like them and maybe give you 10% off (whoopee) BUT if alarm is not set and you get done, they wont pay out, any new "reg" you will have to have it at your expense, just have the alarm and say nothing to your insurance.

its differnt if your insurance co say you have to have an alarm but you have not mentioned that.

and i dont like those PIR's but if thats what the installing co like not a lot you can do about it.

I dont entirly agree with what joe 90 has said, but you will save money if you have it as bells only

oh, did you know the g2 can text you? but its only a gimic, because if you are out shopping / work, what are you going to do if it TXTS you the lounge pir went off?

seems ok though

Thanks all-some very useful advice

Joe: My rationale is that by getting a siren only system, the difference in installation is about 150 quid and it is only 60 quid a year service compared to 140 quid a year for monitoring and service. So, it didn't seem like a huge difference in price especially when we don't have family nearby and friends to check up may not always be available. Yours is a good point though and I'd welcome your feedback

Breezer: What is an alternative to PIR's ? I am now desperate to make sure my cost levels stay within a grand (double what I originally anticipated :oops: )

doesnt matter about family and friends living near by, you still have to have at least 2 keyholders (that can be on site within 20 minutes) in order to get a URN from the police (oh dear, and you only have 3 prox tags :LOL: )

i only said I dont like those pirs, i never said you should not have them, i also said if thats what the company like there is not much you can do about it. sorry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back