New thermostat - Honeywell CMT727 with Worcester Greenstar 28i Junior boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

I think that I've got this one figured out, but thought it prudent to ask the experts just for reassurance!

My current setup is a British Gas WR1 (properly known as a Drayton Digistat SCR) connected with a 4-core (plus earth) cable that runs to a circuit board within a Worcester Greenstar 28i Junior (combi boiler) drawing on 230v. The circuit board is subsequently connected to the mains.

The Digistat had been operational for approx 7 years, but finally gave up the ghost (no lights but would make a clicking sound when recommissioning and trying to paid up with the Drayton in an attempt to pair up with the Drayon +RF transmitter. Having read numerous bad reviews about this receiver model, I'm counting myself lucky and have bought a better receiver - a Honeywell CM727 which comprises of an HC60U receiver unit and a CT727S1106 wireless room unit.

Looking at the wiring for the current setup (image 1) the black wire is connected to common (terminal 1) and the grey wire is used to call for heat (terminal 3). My suspicion is that, with regards to the Honeywell unit (image 2), the black wire goes to A and the grey goes to B

Does this seem correct? Do I need to change anything on boiler circuit board?

All comments gratefully received!

Attachments

• IMG_20160404_202201.jpg
    IMG_20160404_202201.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_20160418_225106.jpg
    IMG_20160418_225106.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 222
Sponsored Links
Thanks for such a quick reply - lightning fast!

One other thing - with regards to the earth wire, should I terminate and insulate it or should something else be done with it? Not using the earth wire just doesn't feel right!

If the HC60U doesn't require an earth connection, you should terminate and insulate it, so that it doesn't inadvertently come into contact with something it shouldn't. The original SCR was the same really. Drayton provided a useful terminal to 'park' the earth in, but it isn't actually connected to anything.

Sponsored Links
Ah, ok - thanks for his. I was a bit confused about it having an earth terminal, which appeared to slightly contradict its installation guidance which states that it doesn't require an earth connection as it's double insulated.
Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back