New tiler!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I've been a long term reader of the forums here for a while but decided to give my first post a go as I can't really find an answer to my question.

I've just bought a 1930's house that needs refurbishing throughout. I've started ripping tiles off the walls in the bathroom which was a wet room for a disabled person. Some have come off with ease and left the plaster nicely on the wall. The tiles where the shower is/will remain are harder to remove and where I have got them off, they have pulled the plaster away in some spots exposing the original plaster over the brickwork. Some of the plaster is intact and in some cases, the adhesive is still in place. I have never tiles before, nor have I ever plastered before. But due to an unforeseen full electrical rewire of the house, I can no longer afford to pay a 'guy' to do it so I'll give it a go myself.

Do I need to repair the plaster before I can tile again?

Do I need to remove all the old adhesive before applying new adhesive?

The plaster behind the tiles is in good order and no water has made it through at all so I've given myself the impression I can just patch it up and tile again with ceramic tiles and it'll be fine.

Any help is good help.

Sponsored Links
Hi, You really need to remove the old adhesive because you need a smooth and level surface to tile on. It is amazing how a small lump dump in the surface can throw the tiling out.
It depends how hard the adhesive is if it's not too bad one of these might do the job.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/heavy-duty-scraper-4/16530

Otherwise it's a bolster chisel, you can just skim the bits where the plaster has come away with patching plaster or if very small areas even pollyfilla.

The smoother and straighter the wall the better the finished result will be, like most things it's the preparation that counts most. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back