New to dovetails - advice sought

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Next part of our 'new' bedroom with 2x (his n hers) walk-in wardrobes, is to build in some drawers & suchlike - for undies, socks, etc..

Never having used a dovetail router jig, I'm now looking for one, so recommendations would be welcome ....

Also, I need to know if I need a 1/2" router to do the routing (half blind dovetails). I already have a nice Freud 1/4" router, but don't know if d/tails "have" to be done with a 1/2" machine, or if the 1/4" will suffice

If I don't need another router, I can use the money instead to buy a nice planer/thicknesser, so I'm not tied to set standard lumber sizes

All advice & recommendations most welcome

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I would recommend a 1/2 " machine as you have to cut the slot in one go, you cant start do several passes as wth other cutters

just check the dovetail jig you choose will be wide enough for the jobs you plan
very large drawers or tool boxes for say routers or circular saws will need a longer jig

Do them by hand with a dovetail/tenon saw and chisel, just as quick if you are only doing a few.

Sponsored Links
Do them by hand with a dovetail/tenon saw and chisel, just as quick if you are only doing a few.

Nice thought, and I have thunk about it, but no ....

Bedroom needs about 16 drawers of various sizes doing

After that (as practice) comes the entire kitchen !

Happy to cut a few DT's by hand, but it gonna have to be a jig

Agree about the width of router, so I'm going for either a 400 or 600mm one

post some pics when youve done,been years since ive done a dovetail.

Are the joints going to be visible? If not I wouldn't waste your time, and if you're doing it for the pleasure of being able to say you made a dovetail, do it by hand :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back