New to electrics 5500w 25Amp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

Im very new to electrics and im wanting to get updated with my knowledge so to cut a long story short, here goes..

I rencently got given a Miele washing machine which was used in a commercial building, and i want to install this machine in my kitchen at home, but have been told by the person who gave it to me it works on a different power system.

so i checked the data sheet on the washing machine and it states as below
~230v 50Hz
5500W
25 Amp

the machine currently has the power lead but with no plug or anything on the end.

so is there anybody that could tell me what i need to do to be able to get this machine working easily

many thanks

Sponsored Links
i'd say wire it like a cooker cuircuit

ie

32A breaker in CU
6mm T&E
cooker control unit in accessible location
6mm T&E
cooker outlet plate
existing flex to washer

remember to label the cooker control unit with what its actually connected to

Sponsored Links
thanks plugwash for the speedy reply,

im with you most of the way
T&E i assume is the twin and earth cabling,
cooker control unit im with you on that one.

but im stuck on 32A breaker in CU what is that

also can i use this as a spur or would it need to be on the ring

thanx

im nearly there now thanx again guys

its not a spur or a ring, its a separate radial circuit

the breaker is the circuit breaker in the consumer unit (fuse box)

To clarify all this, you need a new (or currently unused) 30 amp fuse or 32 amp breaker in the consumer unit, a 6mm cable that goes to nothing except the cooker control unit, the control unit itself (with or without extra socket) and, finally, a cooker outlet box. That last item is just a heavy duty junction box where you connect your machine.

An afterthought: What wires do you have in that machine cable? If they're red/yellow/blue it's three phase and you've had it!

i would have expected a mention of 380V/400V/415V on the rating plate if it was 3 phase

anyway 3 phase flex is ususally brown/black/black/blue/green+yellow

just a thought, is his washing machine really worth it? its going to cost you a fortune in electricity, probably needs to be securly fixed to the floor (may need to be an isolated floor)

still its not my decision

hi felix

your've scared me now the wire from the machine are red, blue yellow so as your've said its 3 phrase what does that mean and why have i had it

let us know

thanx again

you have "had it" because the average house does not have a 3 phase supply.

does it say anywhere on the m/c that it is 3 phase

Lucky he hasn't tried to wire it up yet, and surprised that no-one queried that earlier.

Igorian said:
Lucky he hasn't tried to wire it up yet, and surprised that no-one queried that earlier.

no one did because if you read his first post he does mention it says

so i checked the data sheet on the washing machine and it states as below
~230v 50Hz
5500W
25 Amp

but he never mentioned the cable colours, why they are getting rid of it, what it was mounted on.

As i also did mention most "industrial" washing m/c are bolted to the floor, and in some cases a "isolated floor" has to be used

hi,

im lucky i havent wired it up yet, so if houses dont have 3 phase is there anyway i could have 3 phase installed at home, and if not could i not some how put an industrial plug on the machine and plug it in to one of the yellow transformers and run it that way

thanx

breezer said:
no one did because if you read his first post he does mention it says

The clue is here, if you read the original post

lsearson said:
rencently got given a Miele washing machine which was used in a commercial building, and i want to install this machine in my kitchen at home, but have been told by the person who gave it to me it works on a different power system.

I just think to read that and then suggest he can wire it up like a cooker is a little irresponsible.

I await a beasting :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back