New to routing.. tips for worktop clamps..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per thread.. looking to bed a few worktop clamps in a piece of work.. i guess i use a spade bit for the clamp ends and route the channel between? My main queries are.. would you normally just go freehand for that channel or ... tack down a straight edge.. or another option?

thanks

Sponsored Links
2 or3 mm ok for freehand any more use a strait edge

cutters by there nature going from left to right with work behind the router will pull away from you
obviously if you cut a chanel and go from right to left it will pull towards you

how much practice have you had with your router!!!

None! i haven't even bought it yet.. but am about to.. i see what you're saying vis a vis directionality.. so i guess i'll **** about on some offcuts to get the feel for it.. and to make sure i straight edge on the best (read.. least effort) side.. let it work and not me right? Any handy tips for the edge.. worth getting some sort of quick clamping edge piece or somesuch?

router matt about £5 ptfe spray about £4 2g clamps about £10

what are your expected normal use for the router worktops /light moulding/delicate work/ !!!!

Sponsored Links
Whats the router matt/spray for (spray for lube?) .. already have a couple clamps so thanks.. can use those and a bit of timber. My background is shuttering at work and DIY at home with bits of 1st/2nd fix now and then as asked but i've not been trained in real woodwork and want the router to teach myself to use one and to have on hand to do some of the things i've wanted in the past .. moulding etc as you say.. just seems a very handy, or neccessary thing to have in your armament.. i like trying new things, picking up new skills...

just keep in mind the router is the cheap part :D :D
the cutters the table are the main expence then a second and third router for to ease use to make life easy
idealy you need a 600 to 800w 1/4" for light work a 1000 to1400 for medium work that can accept 1/4 and 1/2 cutters and a good beestie that will sit under the table that will be say 1600 to 2000

makita nice one popular pro router ideal for under table use
ideal for worktops and heavy use not ideal for light work hand work or light moulding

look at ryobi or aeg for value for money
and for the record i have i have seven ish routers 1 1/2" hitachi 12mv a ryobi 1150w that does 1/4 +1/2" a 800w powerdevil a 400w b&d 2 ryobi 18v light routers [p600] and a dewalt 18v spiral saw i converted to a light router with the use off a ferm router base

and yes ptfe is a lubricant for any cutters

I'm a joiner/general builder - I have the Makita you suggested, great bit of kit. Only router I own so used for everything - about 5 years old and still going strong

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back