Wood worktop problems, split at one end.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a full stave solid wood worktop, it was designed to be an L shape, so a breakfast bar stub and a longer worktop against wall.
It was fully sealed and made shiny with osmo top oil top and bottom. It was then laid flat on the final resting place where it will be screwed down later. I was getting ready to do the cutout for the sink when I noticed that two of the staves had a split of about 0.7mm for a few inches in length. It is exactly where one of the pockets are for the underneath pull-together clips, the supplier is saying I should have had it bolted up to keep it stable. BUT, all the other staves have been ok, and if I had clamped the worktops together, the pull would also have tended to increase the split as the curve of the clamp would put a bit of opening force on those exact two staves. they are saying it is too long since they did the worktop and that there are trying to wriggle out of helping or replacing. I may need to consider small claims court, but would prefer them to sort it without that.

Any ideas how easy this could be to fix properly? or is it a case of cut and shut with fresh glue?
Any tips for arguing that they should take responsibility for it?

The second image shows that when pulling the end tight it is also trying to spread the wood too.

Attachments

• IMG_20240429.jpg
    IMG_20240429.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20240503.jpg
    IMG_20240503.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Can you not glue and clap? Probably won't hold forever I guess.
I think you have a case with manufacturer.
Everyone knows wood is a living moving product and splits happen. Normally they just replace having factored in failure rate.
Start with a warning letter regarding small claims.
Then file.
Turn your yourself and keep it simple. Have pictures and receipts.

Well they relented and have now taken it for repair, I know wood is a natural material and moves, but this was well sealed, kept dry and has still split, so that end of the log must have been wetter than the rest. With a home repair, with an 80mm split in a piece of wood 720mm wide, I would not be able to press it together enough without crushing the edges.

Sponsored Links
The OP said that the supplier told him that he should have bolted it when it arrived.
I could only see this comment .
“the supplier is saying I should have had it bolted up to keep it stable. ”

The worktop was cut by them, I asked for 4 slots as the top was the 72cm front to back and needs more clamping force, they gave me three, and the clamps have not yet been tightened. I needed access to things and was not ready to do it straight away, the day job keeps me quite busy really.

This "should have bolted it up" implies that if one doesn't promptly secure the worktop down when it arrives, then it's just going to spontaneously warp itself or split. That can't be right, surely?

Well they actually replaced the top instead of repairing it, so it had ended ok I guess. Still need to go through coating the new top and hope this does not happen again. I suppose the pocket needs a flatter edge towards the join to reduce the opening force applied to the join after it is tightened together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back