New to this. 1st floor rads warm grn rads cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im new to the deligts of owning a house with a 25 year old BAXI BERMUDIA 675. It works a treat only I decided to change all the lock sheild valves on all 7 rads as the were all painted and old.

I have fitted Thermostatic valves to all 3 bedrooms and LS valves to all the other 4, 1 being the bathroom and the rest on the gnd floor. Now system is filled back up I think I have an air lock as all 3 rads on grn floor are cold . I have a fortip tank and pump (set on 3) in the front bedroom and the baxi in the room below.

Can I attach the kitchem sink tap via a hose to the central heating system drain off valve and blast water back through the system to get rid of the air?

All the rads have been bled and no air comes out!!! PLEASE HELP as YOU ARE MY ONLY HOPE :eek:

Sponsored Links
Can I attach the kitchen sink tap via a hose to the central heating system drain off valve and blast water back through the system to get rid of the air?
No, that technique really only applies to air locks in Hot Water pipes.

Try closing the valves on the rads that are working and then seeing if you get any circulation on lower rads. Problem could be sludge that you've disturbed during drain down. This may need flushing out, possibly using a technique like the one I said "No" to above (but it's much more complicated).

"BALANCING RADIATORS" in Google.co.uk gives 978 pages, use Google.com and you get 132,000, so this isn't really your only hope. Try some of them.

Sponsored Links
Thaks for getting back so soon. I have tryed turning all the hot rads off and i get slight warmth in the rads that are normally cold. Then all of the rads may decide to turn off altogeather. could this be a faulty pump. It does sound rather clicky... Is ther a simple way of desludging???

btw our hot water is very very hot!!!!!!!! I have replaced the old analog timer with a new digital one. Olny thing is u cant control the hot water. i can have just hot water and no heating by turing a red tap in the airing cupboard. I dont mind that setup but id like to adjust the hotwater temp!!. i have the baxi set to 3 at the moment. As we speak the once cold rads are now warming at the top! but cold as ice at the bottom. the pipes running under the rad (concrete floor) are red hot 2!!! thanks agen 4 any advice

id like to adjust the hotwater temp!!.

Sounds like you have an old system with no cylinder thermostat. The hot water will heat until it reaches the temperature of the boiler flow water, set by the boiler thermostat (which you say you have on 3 - turn it down?). Check that boiler 'stat is actually working.

ALL RADS ARE WORKING now so i guess the air trap went away while i was sleeping. How do i check that the boiler 'stat is actually working. And yes my system is prehistoric!!!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back