new toilet - a few questions....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to replace my toiler in the bathroom as the pan has chipped and the cistern has aleak also.

My toilet is a bit different to most - where the current pan connector goes down (through the floor - wooden floorboards). But it doesn't go into a stack/soil pipe - it goes into a concrete slab (round and about inch or 2 high) - my question is how do i remove the old pan connector as it seems to be concreted in and won't move - will I have to cut it out??

Secondly, what will be in the whole, just a big hole or will i see a soil pipe somewhere?

many thanks for reading my 1st post

Sponsored Links
I would imagine that this concrete plinth is just reinforcing a salt glaze pipe, maybe - presumably on the ground floor?
if so, there's no way you'll chip it out without damage, I fear - but connectors are available to connect the new loo into the old pipe.
John :)

the toilet is upstairs - do you mean to connect new loo to old pan connector? as i cannot see the waste pipe at all

There must be a soil pipe there somewhere (I hope)! If you can expose the orifice, a plastic pan connector will fit down the hole.
A picture might help here as I can't think why this would be concrete upstairs!
John :)

Sponsored Links
all there is is an angled pan connecter bending down itno this concrete circular block which mus then go to the floor - no pipe at all in sight - the pan connector is fixed/concreted in!

Sounds like it could be a cast iron or clay pipe socket with the pan connector, or the pan outlet spigot pointed in with a strong sand/cement mortar. If you're lucky, there's a relatively thin layer of mortar over a rope and tar gasket in a cast iron socket. If you're unlucky it's a strong concrete mix filling the collar on a clay pipe.

Chipping the pointing out of a cast iron pipe may be possible, but chipping concrete out of clay socket is most likely to break the pipe.
Maybe that's already happened, and the concrete is a botched 'repair'

Thanks for your help I appreciate it. So would you suggest leaving the original pan connector in place (it looks ok) and fitting new toiler to this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back