New toy

Sponsored Links
I've got one of those too! They aren't as good as the video makes out IMO.

What make did you get, and are they worth it?

We do loads of relamping, and gone are the days of replacing all four lamps in a lay-in fitting in one go. Customers prefer to only replace failed ones these days, and with modern HF fittings turning all tubes off when one fails, one of these seems like a good idea.

I've got a martindale FL30.

I find that with T8 tubes with black ends that are flashing away in fittings or even failed together, the tester still lights the tube, so it's not much help at all really!

Sponsored Links
Pretty pointless then!

We do loads of work with high and low bay SON/Mercury/MH, although a couple of the sites we do this with are due to go over to LED types soon (I have a very busy summer!), so not much call for those either.

I think I will keep the £40 in my pocket!

I'm a little bit weary of LED lighting, we had a load of high bay LEDs go in no time whatsoever. Where as old ballast type SONs lasted years, HF SON didn't last long and LED even shorter. It could have been owing to heat but you can't really keep them cool up in the gods.

These ones are in a cold store, so heat not an issue :LOL:

They are designed to go there too, and have an 8 year warranty. Already done one lot, and they are fine.....so far.

RF, have you had much use out of your new toy on a day to day basis?! Or has it been waiting for that special moment?!

I'm asking because I want one but after the novelty wears off I can only see it being used once every so often..

I'm asking because I want one but after the novelty wears off I can only see it being used once every so often..
I think most of us would like one - it would have been very useful in our server room during the recent hot weather ;) But then I'd probably not use it much ... at least after I'd done a quick thermal survey on the house and flat, and ...

To be honest, not as much as I'd hoped, but it's still a useful tool to have in the arsenal.

For someone doing domestic work, I wouldn't really bother, but if you do commercial / industrial work, especially I&T, then you'll find plenty of use for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back