new tv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm going to buy my first non crt set. After much research I've decided that the following features are pretty vital:

1. a full 1080p HD tuner
2. a screen that is non-reflective (we have big windows on two walls)
3. a set that shows both HD and SD channels well

The following could be useful:

4. USB recording
5. DNLA
6. a good epg

And of course I want a set that will last forever and never go wrong.

My head is spinning with data, all in a muddle. If someone could advise me on the above factors I'd be really grateful. I reckon I should be able to get a set that fits the bill for about £500. 42" would be big enough.

I'm looking forward to your replies, please.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your reply, Sam. I can see what you mean about new models coming in all the time.

So I tried to buy the book you linked to. I can't. It keeps telling me that I must put my full name and address in the box - which I keep doing without success.

So I'll keep reading user and pro reviews until the right one leaps out at me.

I'll let you know what I decide.

Tony

It states "Put first & last names in FULL NAME box. Include postcode and full phone number. Reminder: AOL & Spamalert can not be used. Please tick box to confirm understanding."

Did you tick the box?

Sponsored Links
Sam, I have put my full name in the full name box, my full address and , post code in the right boxes, in all combinations of upper and lower case letters, without success.

I think it must be because I use Linux rather than Microsoft which does give me problems sometimes. Pity.

Tony

It states "Put first & last names in FULL NAME box. Include postcode and full phone number. Reminder: AOL & Spamalert can not be used. Please tick box to confirm understanding."

Did you tick the box?
Did you tick the box?

No I didn't and I feel a right prat.

I've ordered the book. Many thanks for your patience.

Tony

I hope it was worth the hassle and extortionate price. ;)

I've emailed the Cool Book Shop to suggest that the tick box is a stupid idea.

Well, I just finished reading it and it is really interesting. It seems that buying any other brand of tv than Panasonic or Sony is not sensible so that's where I'll aim my attention.

Pity there aren't cheap, reliable, durable sets isn't it?

Tony

You can sometimes strike lucky with "cheap" but it's more of a gamble. Consequently, if you do that, it's best to budget for a replacement every two years and think of it as a bonus if it lasts longer. It's a reflection of our UK society that nearly everyone buys the cheapest.

In Germany it used to be the opposite. The discerning buyer's first question in a shop would be "how reliable is that TV?" That was back in the late eighties. It may have changed by now.

Given the pace at which technology is changing and prices are falling, I think reliability is a bit of a moot point, unless you're buying from the extreme low or high ends of the market.

http://www.richersounds.com/ are my go-to site for TV & hifi kit -£500 there should get you a pretty nice TV and odds are you'll be looking ar replacing it with a better/bigger model long before it develops a fault. I have computer TFT monitors that are still working well after 10 years.

Well, I just finished reading it and it is really interesting. It seems that buying any other brand of tv than Panasonic or Sony is not sensible so that's where I'll aim my attention.

Pity there aren't cheap, reliable, durable sets isn't it?

Tony

In that case the book was a waste of money. I have a Philips 42" LCD TV with no problems so far for 8 years, Teac 22" in the bedroom almost as long, and a 32" LG with satellite tuner in a holiday home 5 years. Not a Sony or Panasonic anywhere.

Richersounds for me I got a 47 Samsung to replace a 42 LG, I thought the LG was good until I had the Samsung.
With the slim frame of the Samsung it has a smaller overall dimensions than the LG, with the benefit of a larger screen. (The LG was only 4 years old the cost to repair seemed a waste).

Thank you all for posting.

I went down to a well known large store today and looked at the Panasonic and Sony sets in my price range. There were seven of them and I checked the field of view on each of them. All were okay. This was one of my concerns: there are two more.

Reading user reviews online, I've come across an occasional mention that the HD display on the new tv was fine but the SD display was worse than the display on their old CRT set. I watch a lot of Freeview SD programs like Quest and I wouldn't like to worsen the display.

I have a paired cable from my CRT set pushed into the connector on my mini Teac HiFi system to improve the sound. I'm pretty sure that the HiFi is analogue. Will I be able to connect the cable from a new digital tv to my Teac?

Tony

I have a paired cable from my CRT set pushed into the connector on my mini Teac HiFi system to improve the sound. I'm pretty sure that the HiFi is analogue. Will I be able to connect the cable from a new digital tv to my Teac?

Tony

Directly.... No.

New TVs rarely have a stereo audio output any more. Check the spec on any models you are considering. Make sure there is a Digital Audio Output on either Optical (the most common connector for TVs) or on Digital Coaxial.

These digital signals are not directly compatible with a stereo amp such as the Teac. So it's no use just buying a lead or adapters. The signal needs to be converted from a digital format to analogue. It requires a little box to do the conversion work. Fortunately the boxes are inexpensive and they're easy to hook up.

Here's a very low cost version of a suitable box: Optical to stereo phono

You will also need an optical cable from the TV to the box.

Once you hook everything up you will have the same kind of connectivity as your old TV. However, the TV volume won't control the sound level via the box. You'll need to use the Teac remote for that. It may be the same as how your old TV works, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back