New under floor heating - start up process?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've just installed wet under floor heating and it's now time to turn it on - couldn't come any sooner, since temperatures outside have plummeted!

Question is, what temperature should it be started at and how much should we turn it up each day???

I started it off at 7 degC last night and have now upped it to 9 degC, but the concrete floor just feels just as cold as before - no sign of any vague warmth.

The ambient temperature in the room is around 10 degC.

Any advice from professionals who have experience installing and running UFH?
How much can we turn it up each day, without risking damaging the concrete floor?

It's really cold and I'd like to know how soon we can start to feel the benefit, assuming that it's working of course...

Sponsored Links
Don't you have a heating installer to commission it?

Tony

A heating engineer installed it, but we had to wait a couple of weeks for the screed to try, before turning the temperature up.

He is coming back tomorrow to do some more work (not on the UFH), but the system is/should be operational. It's just a case of turning up the thermostats.

So my question stands...can anyone advise about how much to turn it up each day, so that I don't risk cracking the floor?

It's very cold in my house right now...

Surely you should be asking him then?

It is often decided to increase the temp by 1 C per day!

But that depends on the cement mix and water content !

If it is cold then use electric fan heaters!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Right, but unfortunately he's quite difficult to get hold of.

Also, the whole point this forum, is surely to be able to ask questions/talk about the various topics.

There are too many variables !

Quite apart from the question of liability!

Since you are paying him then I would say that you should be asking him!

You said he is there tomorrow. So why not ask him in person?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back