New UPVC Hinges broken already

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just a quick one, have spent a large amount having all the UPVC hinges on my windows replaced, as they were sticking/broken/not closing.

And I’m very happy that my windows now work ok with not a single draught

Was going around cleaning all the frames afterwards, and noticed that on the majority of the new hinges, the hollow square plastic clip thingy (the one that the hook thing on the top of the window side of the hinge goes into, to pull the window close to the frame when closing) are either breaking or looking squashed/distorted already.

It’s as if when the window closes, the hook is not fitting into that socket properly, and is pushing out/on the plastic causing it to break/distort.

Now, all my windows close better than they have ever done, so just want to ask the community if that’s ok?

Or am I looking at problems down the line? It feels like it shouldn’t be happening, but I’m not an expert…

You all are :)

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That’s the exact hinge, all those plastic bits are already broken, squashed, or deformed, have circled where the damage is occurring

It’s only been a week since install.

Attachments

• IMG_7377.jpeg
    IMG_7377.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 45
You have to bare in mind its metal on plastic and a snug fit so there will be a degree of marking up, any pictures?

Sponsored Links
Hopefully that’s all it is :)

Pic attached, if it’s to be expected, that’s cool

Attachments

• IMG_7366.jpeg
    IMG_7366.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 37
Blimey, thats incorrect. I suspect 13mm stack height hinges were used and you needed 17mm, it basically the thickness of the hinge when fully closed, as the hinge folds closed the casement is drawing the two hinges together not allowing the point to fit in its corresponding cup but riding on the edge of it, 17mm hinges required OR retain the hinges but use stack height spacers to convert the 13mm to a 17mm

Thank you. Do you think they can put the packers in now with those damaged parts, or is it whole new hinge time?

Salvageable, the point will locate into the middle of the cup afterwards so the little damage you have just becomes cosmetic

so not a total start again.

Onto the moral dilemma of if someone has paid a few thousand pounds to have all their window hinges done - and they all now look like that, do you accept the packers and the damage, or do you ask for the correct hinges to be installed, as they should have been…..one for another day

Correct hinges, who fitted them?
A local company, good reviews, good work so far - they did an amazing job re sealing all the windows at the same time, so hopefully they will put it right. Until they don’t, I’ll not mention them here, as it’s probably not fair.

I’ll let you know what happens in the next week

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back