New valve, old radiator, matching size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Some searching has presented a few similar threads, but not clear enough for me to understand the solution to my problem.

I have old radiators. One of the TRVs on one radiator was corroded closed and the lockshield at the other end leaks. I picked up a 15mm TRV and lockshield from Screwfix (for £6 - insane price). Replacing the TRV was easy enough. I used a freezing kit to avoid draining the system, very cool. When I went to replace the lockshield, I found the fitting to the radiator was a lot bigger than the valve and tails that came with it. I can't now easily get to the inside of the fitting, because my freeze thawed. The outside measurement of the nut is about 30mm, so I guess the inside is 3/4" or 1" - perhaps someone knows which is more common where it's not 1/2"? Photo included.

My question is: what is the easiest/cheapest way for me to replace this lockshield? Which parts do I need (with a minor preference to use the 15mm lockshield I already have). I think the answer may involve a bush, but I can't picture the obvious solution.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
It'll be 3/4" on the connection to the radiator insert. You need a special key to remove the part within the radiator and then replace it with the newer 1/2" by 15mm compression styled insert. Otherwise you can still buy lockshield valves that will be 15mm compression on the pipe connection and 3/4" on the radiator connection. This way you won't need to remove the tail from the radiator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back