new vinyl floor disappointment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had my kitchen diner tiled in LVT and it looks great my downer came though when the new dining room table an chairs arrived and I find all the chairs rock on the floor so I checked the floor with a spirit level and find there are highs and lows all over the floor of about 10mm, I have asked the company who installed the flooring about this and they are saying this is normal, some 10 bags of floor leveller was used over 20 sqm of screed floor to level the floor plus DPM and primers at a total cost of 1500 pounds.
Is this really acceptable, do floor levelling compounds not actually level the floor but just smooth it enough to allow the tiles to stick down, am I being too critical.
I would appreciate any comments on this as I am feeling really deflated atm.

Sponsored Links
Is this really acceptable, do floor levelling compounds not actually level the floor but just smooth it enough to allow the tiles to stick down, am I being too critical.

Some bags of 'leveler' are really just 'smoothers' - as I found out to my (huge) cost.
This is definitely NOT acceptable. No you're not being 'too critical'.

Inevitably it's going to have to be redone.
Exactly the same thing happened to me, but finally, I'm pleased to say, after the third attempt (and a lot of time and effort from myself) we've finally got a level kitchen floor.

Get 'em back!

Definitely NOT acceptable.

Using self levelling screed I got a perfectly level and flat floor for a 7 foot by 5 foot room. Based on that a friend took on a 12 by 9 room as DIY and got a level floor with just one small area in a corner where the substrate was too high. He cut that out and removed some of the substrate and put more self levelling into the hole. I recall it took two attempts as the self levelling either expanded or contracted as it set.

Sponsored Links
Just before you take action, are the edges of the tiles level with each other, with the variance within the tile, making it a tile defect?

Back