New vinyl tile floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
EDIT: maybe this is best in tiling section, didn't think when posting. Mods move is you wish.

At work we have a brand new (November) Vinyl tile floor. The subfloor is timber construction, with plywood top. The size of the store is 3000sqft.

In places around the store, the tiles appear to be lifting at the edges in rows. One row has adjoining tile edges lifting together, forming a ridge and a black line. I'm guessing the rows are where the plywood sheets meet. I'm not sure if its because of the sheets moving up and down, or the plywood expanding / contracting. But the floor has started squeeking in one place.

The floor itself appears to have been quickly laid, because none of the corners of the tiles meet right, they are out by say 2-3mm in places (about 25-30cm tiles). It looks like they had a tight deadline to meet and they just threw the floor down.

I'm unsure about the nature of the subfloor, but the floor seems very stable for a wooden floor, and it can take us moving half-ton cages of stock about the place.

What would be involved in remedying this problem? It wont be long before its a H&S issue. Should the original contractors do this FOC? (Never met them, but they had to come and change one tile after a redundant lecky supply was removed, and a polish bloke turned up, hardly spoke any english)

Sponsored Links
get the firm in who fitted it to see if they no the problem. The flooring may be under speced if running half ton loads over it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back