New wheel for fiesta

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi one of the rear wheels for one of our fiestas is damaged and therefore no longer round (it wobbles slightly when it's on the road) so I've bought a new steel wheel from Evans Halshaw. It's for reg W972 PLJ which has tyres 165/70/R/13 fitted and the dealer said this wheel will fit.

However the outer rim of the new wheel is wider than 13", is it measured further in i.e. not the maximum outside edge diameter?

Also with having a new wheel fitted with it being slightly different to the old ones will I need wheel balancing to be carried out?

Cheers
Andy

Sponsored Links
Have you measured the old ones?
If the tyre fits then and the studs are correct then it will be fine.
Wheel ballancing is a good idea as a matter of course - not as necessary on the rear as on the front as on the front you can end up with a juddering of the steering wheel when you hit a certain speed.
Owing to manufacturing of tyres not all tyres are necesserally in ballance anyway so even with a perfect rim ballancing may be needed to counteract this.

According to http://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/ts/search/SizeSearch.aspx the tyres on your car should be Registration: W972PLJ
Make: FORD
Model: FIESTA (5 DOOR HATCHBACK)
Colour: BLUE
Size Details: Width - 155 Profile - 70 Wheel Size - 13 Speed - T Load - 75

The wheel should have the size stamped on the outer rim somewhere.
BTW, kwikfit gave the same result.

I've measured the new wheel and it's only 155 mm wide. It does have a 13 printed on it so I guess the diameter is right. Looks like it'll have to go back then I guess :( All the tyres on it at the moment are 165/70/R/13 though

Sponsored Links
I think that you are measuring the wrong part, the 13" is the diameter across the wheel laid flat, to the shoulder that the bead of the tyre fits - or are you winding us up?

Peter

I've measured the new wheel and it's only 155 mm wide. It does have a 13 printed on it so I guess the diameter is right. Looks like it'll have to go back then I guess :( All the tyres on it at the moment are 165/70/R/13 though
Have a good look at the wheels, they will probably have 4½jX13 or 5jx13 stamped on the outer rim.

Sorry I mean the wheel is 13" in diameter but the depth is only about 155mm thick. It is stamped with 5jx13. What's the max tyre width that a 5jx13 wheel can be fitted with?

The tyre fit fine onto the new wheel - was just worried I'd bought the wrong one that's all! Thanks for all your replies

The 'depth' of the tyre is the 70 bit.

Its 70% of the width measurement.

The dealer should have checked and supplied a matching tyre imho.
You can't mismatch different tyre sizes on the same axle iirc.

Well, you can, but i believe its n MOT fail.

Sponsored Links
Back