New wicket boundary fence. What side do I show my neighbours?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In normal fencing terms I show the neighbours the "nice" side of the fence. Is this the same logic for wicket fencing?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Take it you mean picket fencing. If so there is no legal reason for the neighbour to have the good side its just a neighbourly thing to do. Have you asked your neighbour if they want to go halves with the cost ~ more reason for them to have good side

I thought the only reason neighbours had the "good side" was so that you get more garden - posts on your land, fence essentially running along the border line.
So if a fence is designed differently, i.e. panels centre of posts, then have the prettiest side facing you.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think for the boundary fence im going to do it double sided as the pickets/wickets dont cost much anyhow.

On a related note what is the difference between picket and wickets? My fencing supplier calls them wickets so I was led to believe pickets are the smaller knee height white fences and wickets are the slightly taller 90cms and upwards range. Upon googling this I got no results.

Sponsored Links
If there's grass on the wicket...

Oh wait, no that is a different thing altogether.

We spent over £2k on fencing when we moved in and recently refurbed it £800 and a lot of work (40 posts!).

******* to the neighbours getting the good side!.

Seems some call the fence a wicket fence after the style of cricket wickets, but I call it a picket.

Wicket, Picket, let's call the whole thing off...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back