New Window Installation - Is this ok.?

Sponsored Links
The outside looks acceptable - apart a slight curve right hand side where the Stihl saw has moved a bit. Is there silicone in there?
Inside is somewhat rougher and should have been finished with a sand and cement fillet, but if its going to be plastered later then it will all be covered. At least it has sealed any gaps from the cavity so air shouldn't get through.
Only my opinion! Cheers John :)

If I had done the the job I would have tried to be a bit more careful - I would have fixed laths to the outside wall where I was going to cut, then made a first cut with an angle grinder before reaching for the Stihl saw. This gives me an accurate cutting line as possible.
Definitely I would have finished the inside with sand and cement.
I think whats happened is that the people who did this couldn't cut all of the way through the brickwork because the saw cutting disc wasn't a big enough diameter, therefore they cut as deep as they could and then reached for the bolster chisel, whereas if they had been a bit more careful they could have removed the outer leaf of brickwork and then attacked the inner leaf rather more carefully.
However, whats done is done so how do you feel about it?
Cheers John :)

Sponsored Links
1) The right cut isn't straight - but there's not a lot that can be done about that one now
2) The inner leaf should have been pointed up with sand and cement and could still be done
3) I can't see if the new window is up to the wall plate or not, but it does look ok
4) They should have done!

So - whats to be done now? You can't go back and do the job again, so its only the price that is negotiable if you're not happy with the job.
Maybe the window has extra edgings available to sort the inside.
John :)

Often when upvc windows are installed, there is quite a bit of (unavoidable usually) damage done to window cills and plastered reveals. The window manufacturers produce a range of filler and capping strips to cover this - so although the damage is still there it can't be seen, and they do work well.
See what window man has got to offer! I hope he comes up with a mutually successful outcome. Cheers John :)

ok my thoughts ;)
i assume the roof joists are on top off the window

is there anything structural above the window inside the fillets to support the joists !!

the inside is in mho is barley acceptible to average if its going to be plasterd on going
but not if its exposed for any time

i think you will finnish up with a archatrave surround like a box sash rather than a filled in return inside

the contract will just say make good to origional surfaces and leave weatherproof
they wont rerender or paint unless the contract specificaly requires it[which you havent] they will just cover with larger plastic as thats what your contract requires them to do

What the fitters have done is adequate and acceptable. In 90% of cases this is the result you will get with window fitters.

If you wanted a Rolls Royce job then you could have paid treble and had all the reveal bricks toothed out and re-laid. Unnecessary for a porch.

The outside is acceptable - the inside is ok if it is being plastered, end of.

Other than him buying a ready made window which happens to be a tad short on the height and not having one made to fit the exact hole, it looks fine from the outside.

If you told him you were getting it plastered inside then thats why its just been cut like that and sealed up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back