New window question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people

I am going to fit a new window to the external wall upstairs, I am pretty confident at DIY and have had the Building regs man out so al isl in order, but have two questions for advise.

Firstly the lintel;

The opening is 1000mm across (for an inner and outer wall, cavity in the middle) I know i need to go 150mm each side with the lintel, but what kind of lintel do I use? Travis Perkins have plenty of concrete lintels in the yard, will these be good enough or do i need a steel one. I plan to pack it out with slate and set it with mortar is this right?

Secondly;

The making good of the hole, once the window is set and fixed onto the outer wall i am going to be left with the cavity and the inner wall, what is best to cover this? Is it a good idea to line the entire opening with say a 25mm thisck plank of wood, then secure the window to this, then plasterboard the inside. Or better to fix the window directly to the brick then pack out the cavity then make good.

I now it is a pretty simple job but any advise would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
You seem to have a good idea of what you need to do! For the lintel it would probably be 180mm wide 70mm thick or 2x 90x70 would be easier. The mortar you use should be a dry mix, just wet enough to bind it. Add 1 part sharp sand to it.
Personally I would fix th window directly to the brick. Pasterboard over the cavity and fit a sill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back