New windows in cottage renovation

We had some hardwood double glazing made and installed for us by the green window company, based in Exmouth - great service, reasonable price, and also genuinely interested in being responsible about asny snagging or follow up. I'd recomend getting a quote from them

Sponsored Links
Is that VS express you use Gazman? If so we use them too ( we're based North Devon ) , have to say they are a very good vertical slider, used Quantum in the past ( Corby ) but aftersales from them is just absolute rubbish. I totally agree that PVc now is getting to look just as good as wood. We did a job locally in chartwell green vertical sliders and every one thought they were wood!

I meant VS as in Victorian Sliders. I know everyone in the trade slates them and yes there after-sales are very slow but they have the nicest looking standard profile in my opinion and the prices just cant be beaten.
I have done loads and everyone comments on how real they look, You would have to be stood about a meter away and see the corner welds to know.

I recently did a load in my town center which is a conservation area. My local planning department are normally a right pain in the butt but they allowed them here, Didn't even ask for the mechanically jointed corners which was an option I had presented.

The thing that really sells them is the standard features:
Simple built in travel restictors that only allow them to open 100mm. Good for both security and child safety.
Flick 2 knobs and the windows tilt in for easy external cleaning.
The sash's can be removed completely in a couple of minutes (a few more clips to undo) which is fantastic for getting large pieces of furniture in and out of houses.

ronniecabers / Gazman16: Looks like youre both fairly local to me. Do you know any 'window showrooms' in Devon that I can go along to see the quality of modern-day PVC windows? Im sold on PVC if they look *almost* as good as wood. Thanks

Hopefully Ronniecabers will come back to you with an address for you to look at some but most double glazing company's should have a sliding sash window sample you could look at if you have any local showrooms.
The makes are all pretty similar except for molding/features so looking at any of them should give you a pretty good idea.

DH frames might spot this thread and chip in with his location too.

Not as many company's will have Residence 9 samples though I expect but there are several similar makes. R9 is just the top spec casement type that are designed for conservation areas and listed buildings.

Hopefully Ronniecabers will come back to you with an address for you to look at some but most double glazing company's should have a sliding sash window sample you could look at if you have any local showrooms.
The makes are all pretty similar except for molding/features so looking at any of them should give you a pretty good idea.

DH frames might spot this thread and chip in with his location too.

Not as many company's will have Residence 9 samples though I expect but there are several similar makes. R9 is just the top spec casement type that are designed for conservation areas and listed buildings.

Thanks Gaz. Im going to pay a visit to http://www.aspect-windows.com/showroom.html . Apparently its the biggest showroom in the south west, so hopefully theyll have some good examples of quality sash PVC windows.

Sponsored Links
I was going to suggest Aspect windows , they certainly deal with R9. Found out they have moved more into Aluminium these days after having a chat with the MD ( Steve Cooling ). As goes actual Vertical Sliders , try Devonshire Windows in Paignton, they manufacture VS Express windows , which to be fair are pretty similiar in spec to Victorian Sliders. You can have the night latch restrictors ( opens 100mm only ) , the tilt mechanism to clean them, again a few clicks and the whole sash can be removed , a choice of std or deep bottom rail, georgian bars or Astraga Bars ( bars on outside but sealed units divided to look like individual sealed units) , Run through horns on the top sash ... really really good spec

Just thinking about Residence 9 , a fair few manufacturers do ' Flush sash ' casements for example attached is a FB advert of Deuckinnick's on our company page ( not advertising our company here , purely for reference for OP as Exeter is 55 miles from us! ) You can get these with ' mechanical ' joints or welded joints , decision is yours really
19429750_1849329025093633_2334583618956001476_n.jpg

Yeah i guess if you don't want to go the whole hog and have R9 then a flush sash system offers the next best, think most profile maufacturers have such a system now

We’re in Bristol
Recently done 20+ Roseview Vs’s
Lovely looking but for £600-£700 alone per window they’re not cheap.
We moved to Spectus after constant issues with Synseal on our day to day slider

Can’t go wrong with the Residence stuff

Hi guys
Just picking this thread up again.
Ive almost decided on an installer. He uses Spectus for the sash windows and (I think) Heritage for the casements. Do Spectus and Heritage windows look good? I think Ill go with the "antique black" monkey tail handles.

All in the fitting, good products become redundant if poorly fitted/finished

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back