New wireless thermostat recommendations?

Agile said:
Oh dear!

The original poster has gone away a long time ago!

I'm back folks and boy what an argument I seem to have started!

Thanks for all the posts, it's a little difficult to get a clear idea of what the consensus is though!

For clarity - I have tried the turning down the radiator valve/lockshield in the past but as I mentioned earlier it gets just as hot but takes 10 minutes for the radiator to get to full pelt instead of 5!! Not a great deal of use.

I have no reason to suspect that the stat isn't working - it clicks on and off as I would expect, just that the room gets too hot where it is.

Someone asked why the room gets so hot and what the previous owner did - well the answer is...... the hot water cylinder sits in our bedroom along with the stat! It's lagged well and in a cupboard but of course you still get a reasonable amount of heat coming out of there so add that to the rad, and especially in the mornings when there have been two people sleeping in there giving off heat and you can imagine why the stat doesn't call for heat without it being turned up high!

That's why I thought moving the stat to a more neutrally heated area of the house might work?

Sponsored Links
Debate - not arguement ;)

What happens when the radiator is turned right off?

Obviously if the room is still to hot there is no option at all but to move the stat, as no matter much you restrict the flow you're on a loosing wicket if the tank is providing more than enought heat. This seems likely as our study and my sons room have the radiators turned off just because of the amount of heat the computers kick out.

Is the stat on an internal wall? Could you easily move it to the other side in an adjoining room/landing?

As I mentioned we have a heatmiser PRT and that works well - but you'll need permenent neutral and live connections as well as the switched wires you'll have at present.

If the tank is putting out that much heat, moving the stat might help the house generally but that room might still be too hot. Are are the pipes in the cupboard lagged? How about another jacket on the tank and/or draft excluder aroudn the door?

Hence the original answer of yes a wireless will be a good idea and then put a trv on that room rad. Job sorted.

Stan

Sponsored Links
pannierstan said:
Hence the original answer of yes a wireless will be a good idea and then put a trv on that room rad. Job sorted.

Stan
I'll probably regret saying this, but did anyone ever say that wasn't a possible solution?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back