New worcester boiler fitment help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the midst of having a new boiler fitted, a Greenstar 21i System boiler and an unvented water cylinder.

We asked and engineer to fit the Worcester Wave system along side the boiler due to its online functionality and the weather compensating feature.
The engineer stated that he contacted the manufacturer and they informed him that the boiler is compatible.

He has tonight called me to say that the Wave system is not compatible as it also requires an Integral Diverter Valve which Worcester did not tell him is needed although it does tell you on the website in very small writing.

The boiler is on the wall with pipework connected although no gas pipe is yet attached.

The part is only £65 but the engineer is saying that the boiler would have to come off the wall to fit the diverter valve and there would also need to be a sensor run from the boiler to the tank to measure the water temp.

The engineer is saying that the fitment of this system is likely to invalidate the unvented tank warranty and doesn't seem to want to the job.

Is anyone aware of this product and con confirm how much of a pain it is to fit the diverter and if the setup would be an issue for the tank manufacture or present any issue if this factor was ignored? The tank is Stelflow Indirect 210l

many thanks
Darren

Sponsored Links
Ah the joys of reading the instructions before getting under way.

@LeeC had some fun with this box of crap recently :LOL:

Yes you will need the diverter valve.

Yes you will need the sensor.

Don't know about it coming off the wall as I don't fit Wooshitter junk anymore. I doubt it though.

Cylinder warranty would be up to the cylinder manufacturer, and yes it probably would. Wheterh that is a problem or not is down to you. In 15 years I have only had to claim on a cylidner warranty twice. Once because they made a custom one out of the wrong grade copper, and the other because of a seam giving way. Both covered under warranty but they were different companies.

When we're fitting the superior Evohome system, we ensure the safety functions are still there btu if it voids the warranty it voids the warranty. Would be the last cylidner of that company we ever fitted though.

Thanks, to be honest I don't think they've ever fitted one. Clearly its not my fault, the diverter instructions do suggest fitting the unit to the boiler when its led on its side but I'm not sure this is a must probably just easier! they are saying about direct wring the safety cut out to the boiler being an issue.

Sponsored Links
The instructions for the divertor do indeed show it being installed before the boiler is fitted, however it can be done in situ.its a pain but can be done.

The divertor does need a sensor, but doesn't invalidate any warrenty, it does mean a quick giggle of the G3 rules to make it suitable. Boiler perm live wired through cylinder OH stat.

The install needs a dedicated return from cylinder to boiler and any zone valves installed on the flow removing.

I had exactly this nightmare at exactly the same point as your installer. Fully installed and then oh look the wave doesn't do s plan.

Thanks LeeC that's good to hear, I understand the sensor lead will not reach from the boiler to the loft where the tank is being sited, can this be cut and extended in length?

We are in the midst of having a new boiler fitted, a Greenstar 21i System boiler and an unvented water cylinder.

We asked and engineer to fit the Worcester Wave system along side the boiler due to its online functionality and the weather compensating feature.
The engineer stated that he contacted the manufacturer and they informed him that the boiler is compatible.

He has tonight called me to say that the Wave system is not compatible as it also requires an Integral Diverter Valve which Worcester did not tell him is needed although it does tell you on the website in very small writing.

many thanks
Darren

I cannot help thinking Darren that it would have been better for you to have decided exactly what you wanted BEFORE the installation was started.

Then the installer could have done what you wanted in the most cost effective manner!

Tony

Hi Agile
I did decide what I wanted, I asked for a Worcester Wave System and a compatible boiler, I don't know where you got the impression I didn't? In my view it is the installers responsibility to determine what s required to provide this when surveying the house to provide the quote. I appreciate an error has been made and I'm happy to pay for the extra parts required and just expect the willingness from our engineer to sort it

Remember this is relatively new stuff and Wooshitter Botch chop and change their models all the time. Your installer might just be behind the curve.

How obscure is it hidden in the instructions when you looked for me dan???

I fell foul, I picked up a quote from another forum member, was for s plan, wireless star etc.
Customer asked for wave and we all assumed it was just a stat, turns out its a different beast with hot water.

I had to repipe the airing cupboard, to suit the new return layout, remove the zone valves etc.

Hey ho, will know for next time.

Well if Lee can be caught out by this system then what chance has the OP's plumber.

many thanks
Darren

Well Darren, When you say the boiler is "being fitted" and after that that you asked him for the Wave then it makes it look as if that's the order in which things happened.

Customer's sometimes expect that every installer is always totally up to date with all the latest equipment on the market. The reality is that the only way to keep totally up to date is to spend perhaps 14 days each year at manufacturer's training days for which you don't get paid! Consequently many installers need to reply on advice from manufacturer's the help lines where the advice is not always very comprehensive.

Part of the description from a Baxi advert for staff for their technical help section " previous experience not needed".

Few of the technical help people are ex-installers who have had hands on experience. Pity really as its an ideal job for an installer who finds heating work rather physically too demanding.

Tony

I fell foul, I picked up a quote from another forum member, was for s plan, wireless star etc.
Customer asked for wave and we all assumed it was just a stat, turns out its a different beast with hot water.

I had to repipe the airing cupboard, to suit the new return layout, remove the zone valves etc.

Another case for the mighty intergas, the same could have been achieved with opentherm controls and no re-piping whatsoever :whistle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back