New words

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought of a new word yesterday: 'plomp'. I don't know what it could mean, though.

Does anyone know what it might mean? Or think of any other new words and their meaning?

Sponsored Links
notb665 said:
I thought of a new word yesterday: 'plomp'. I don't know what it could mean, though.

It's Dutch for a little bit fat, as in a Rubens figure
:D :D :D :D

Rubenesque .... ooooer! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Plump or fleshy and voluptuous. Used of a woman. ... corr!
:p

Sponsored Links
WoodYouLike said:
Pip, get a grip on yourself !

Excuse me :D ... you naughty little or Rubenesque :?: Woody, you !

:D :D :D

Plomp? I've always found "pre-raphaelite" to be a good term for describing a lady who is just a touch overly-buxom. ;) If such a lady complains that she is larger than she would like to be, "Ah my dear, but you are the epitome of pre-raphaelite beauty!"

Perhaps "plomp" could mean the same as words like "Burley" and "stocky". Someone could be "plump" in appearance, but with the density of lead ("plomb" in French).

It just so happens that I made a new word up a few weeks ago.
I was talking to my girlfriend about people having clandestine meetings for sexual gratification.

A sort of sexual 'rendezvous'

I came up with a word that fitted.

The word is 'randyvous'.

It means a clandestine meeting for sex.

joe

AdamW said:
Plomp? I've always found "pre-raphaelite" to be a good term for describing a lady who is just a touch overly-buxom. ;) If such a lady complains that she is larger than she would like to be, "Ah my dear, but you are the epitome of pre-raphaelite beauty!"

Perhaps "plomp" could mean the same as words like "Burley" and "stocky". Someone could be "plump" in appearance, but with the density of lead ("plomb" in French).

Pre raph women aren't known for their plumpness - just the reverse, in fact.

My favourite artist is JW Waterhouse who is a pre-raph/Classicist and he often used a model named Muriel Foster (who became a nurse and spent her entire career in the profession).

She was the main model in Hylas and the Water Nymphs.
The original is in Manchester but I've never seen it.

http://www.johnwilliamwaterhouse.com/paintings/painting1385.aspx

joe

He's right you know. Must admit I've never heard the term "pre-raphaelite" to mean "a lady who is just a touch overly-buxom." (if it's possible to be a a touch overly-buxom ;) )

Whilst not as thin as today's "ideal", pre-raphael nudes were nowhere near as fleshy as Rubenesque ones, as these two paintings of The Three Graces show - the first by Edward Burne-Jones, a leading pre-raphaelite, and the second by Rubens himself:

yhst-30479181885695_1871_194406335.gif

7.jpg

It would seem I have been mis-using the term all these years! But then, I am no artist, I've always found science to be more interesting although I have always desired to posess a bohemian quality :LOL: I shall amend my language in future and use "rubenesque".

What about women who lay on the make-up with a trowel... "Constablesque"? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back