True meaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does any one know the correct meaning of the word defamation?

Sponsored Links
Slogger said:
there you go madam have you been defamed :LOL:
An individual is defamed when a person publishes to a third party words or matter containing an untrue imputation against his or her reputation.

If the publication is in a permanent form (for example in a book, magazine or film), then the defamation is libel.

In libel claims, the claimant does not have to prove that he or she has suffered loss or damage as a result of the publication.

That would do the trick, wouldn't it?

So when a certain person on here slags me off and calls me, I can sue him ?

Sponsored Links
I think the main issue is in the first line of the quote of the article. Reputation

:LOL: i would think long and hard about going down a route that involved suing someone that was online

you would find out who they where BUT they will know who you are :eek:

do you really want a mad axe man knocking at your door at midnight and saying HERES JOHNY :LOL:

dont you have to be famous to be defamed :LOL:

Who says I'm contemplating anything? At the moment I just need to know the correct meaning of the word.

Slogger said:
do you really want a mad axe man knocking at your door at midnight and saying HERES JOHNY :LOL:

Nah, not my style. Have to be in bed for about ten these days.....

Libel has to be an untrue statement. It cannot be a question.

If I were to say that you were an immigrant and asked if you paid tax - then that isn't libelous.

Neither is it libellous to give an opinion - which is how TV shows like 'Have I got news for you' get around things. Such as "I think Tony Blair is an idiot'.

If you think I've defamed you - then sue me.

eggplant said:
I was thinking more abou tthis one..

eggplant wrote:
Not sure if your quotes are in the correct place, if so you wrote that and didn't mention any names so not sure what you mean by this one?

On a completely different note:
Always wonder why it’s always the same people thinking themselves so important they always presume it’s all about them.

Shoe and fits ?

The saying is: If the CAP fits - wear it.

joe-90 said:
Libel has to be an untrue statement. ........

It has also been held that if the person making the statement has reasonable cause to believe it to be true (even though it was later found to be false) then it is not defamation/libel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back