Newbee help please

I agree, get some proper footprints, but hurry they've gone bust and ill be hard to come by shortly, the cheaper copies are carp.

Sponsored Links
Must admit i don't use the footprints as often as i did but they are still invaluable.
If you are buying "multigrips" (pump pliers) don't skimp and buy cheap. Most are shyte and will have the fingers off you or are set wrong for pipe and nut sizes.
These are about the best you can get
http://www.pentagondirect.com/p/0-8...88-01-250-alligator-water-pump-pliers[/QUOTE]

I have those but find these quicker to set and because of the rake angle they grip better used the right way. But when extra grip us needed the footprints come out, which also double up as a screwdriver lever and hammer.

Just to clarify; Newbee = course cowboy or career change chancer.
They are never real Plumbers as they have not done an apprenticeship.

Delta T

you make me laugh because there are a handful of YOU on this forum with no respect for others. Why are you a plumber i ask? is it cos you have to or want to?
I have done this course as i am a postman and after 9 years actually fancy a challenge in my life hence career change. Yes if we were all 17 again we could do an apprentiship, but i have a son and a mortgage to look after and really couldnt afford to work for a 100 quid a week. So im sorry us course cowboys have to take this route, but hey like i care what you think. This thread was a simple question didn't realise there were TOOLS like you here to put people down.

Sponsored Links
Delta T

you make me laugh because there are a handful of YOU on this forum with no respect for others. Why are you a plumber i ask? is it cos you have to or want to?
I have done this course as i am a postman and after 9 years actually fancy a challenge in my life hence career change. Yes if we were all 17 again we could do an apprentiship, but i have a son and a mortgage to look after and really couldnt afford to work for a 100 quid a week. So im sorry us course cowboys have to take this route, but hey like i care what you think. This thread was a simple question didn't realise there were TOOLS like you here to put people down.

For what its worth mate have a go and by the cheepest tools you can for now to see how it works out.
Once your at a point that your making more than you did as a posty then start treating yourself.

I've seen the words grips and footprints alot in this thread but not one mention of "spanner". I know alot of plumbers struggle to see what use this peculiar device has, but believe me they are quite useful.................

Micky
Spanners are great in the right situation and you need a good set of them too.
But not when doing installs or general plumbing work. I'd need to carry at least 6 spanners in place of 2 pair of knipex and the big spanners are heavy on the back pocket. Bolting up flanges with a 24mm is fine but not fittings.
I, as most others, have not got the time to fk about with spanners when i don't need to.

I've seen the words grips and footprints alot in this thread but not one mention of "spanner". I know alot of plumbers struggle to see what use this peculiar device has, but believe me they are quite useful.................
No but I did suggest Bahco shifters various sizes.

There are also some self adjusting grips (water pump pliers) Nipex make but they are no good either.

The best cheap grips are Hilka

I've got plenty respect Postman Pat, but lets face it you'll be in your 50s before you'll have half the knowledge of a time-served guy in his 20s.
Wouldn't be true in your case though, Delta. Think it'd take about 4 out of the 6 weeks course to catch up with and overtake what you've learnt over the last 20 years ;)

Micky
Spanners are great in the right situation and you need a good set of them too.
But not when doing installs or general plumbing work. I'd need to carry at least 6 spanners in place of 2 pair of knipex and the big spanners are heavy on the back pocket. Bolting up flanges with a 24mm is fine but not fittings.
I, as most others, have not got the time to fk about with spanners when i don't need to.

2x Bahco wide jaw adjustables. done. I'm not saying don't use grips etc, I do myself, but i get fed up of seeing rad valve nuts looked like someones put them through a grinder and various other nuts with lumps of brass swarf sticking out of them. It doesn't take any longer to use a spanner and you don't need 6.

I've got plenty respect Postman Pat, but lets face it you'll be in your 50s before you'll have half the knowledge of a time-served guy in his 20s.
Wouldn't be true in your case though, Delta. Think it'd take about 4 out of the 6 weeks course to catch up with and overtake what you've learnt over the last 20 years ;)

Bring it on any time son............Are you another clueless CC/CCC then?

Bring it on any time son............Are you another clueless CC/CCC then?
Oooh, touchy. Hit a nerve eh ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

But seriously - there ain't an awful lot of apprenticeships out there for school leavers' yet alone for anyone on a retrain. Books can explain things, but you need someone to show you which, since hardly anyone is taking on anyone nowadaysfor free or otherwise, makes it a bit hard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back