Newbie Garage insulation and flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

I would like to ask for some guidance if possible. I know a number of posts have been talking about this over the last few years but would like some up-to-date advise.

In the next few months I will be replacing a roof on my garage (due to the asbestos roof) and doing a DIY conversion of it into a spilt workshop and utility room.

It is a single skinned semi detached building at the end of our garden, it is attached to my neighbour’s garage (who by the way is not the happiest neighbour, if you know what I mean!!).

I would like to know what other people have done with:

1) Walls, I have thought of timber or metal stud work that leaves a cavity gap between the single skinned wall. Bitumen paint the walls, insulation and thermal plasterboard / Plywood or OSB - thoughts....!

2) Floor - DPM or the bitumen paint again, with a small raised timber floor with insulation, what type of timber and sizes would be needed? Do I really need sleeper walls or can I just raise the floor with timber?

3) I will be keeping the garage door but just putting a partition behind it as this is only going to be a workshop that can be easily dismounted when we sell the house.

Some people have talked about membrane systems, paint etc to keep the moisture out of the room but I am unsure of which way to go.

Many Thanks,

Keith

Sponsored Links
noseall,

Thanks for the PDF I have had a look and got some ideas, most of it does not make sense but then again I am not a builder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back