Newbie help pls - Problems with Gledhill Boilermate III

Sponsored Links
did it just go from being hot to cold or has it been getting colder over time ?
long shot but i wonder if the heat exchanger is blocked.

did it just go from being hot to cold or has it been getting colder over time ?
long shot but i wonder if the heat exchanger is blocked.

As soon as the tap is opened usually there is hot water. But within seconds goes to completely cold. Also, the top & bottom pipes of the pump are scalding hot when the tap isnt opened for some time.

Sponsored Links
the only other thing i can think of is the sensors (thermistors)
one on the pump and one on the heat exchanger one is faulty.

try backfilling it.

the cold feed is probably blocked. if the pump is running but the top pipe is cooler then its airlocked and needs refilling.

also iirc there is a non return valve above or below the dhw pump which could be blocked.

Just because you can hear the motor running, does not mean the pump impeller is attached to the turning shaft. Isolate the pump and remove the head.

If the PDF notes are refered to, (page 11), top connection (between the cylinder and the heat exchanger) will be hot. Connection heat exchanger to pump and pump to the cylinder should be same temperature. If later connections are at different temperature, I would be opening the pump to have a look see within.

dp has a point about the pump.

but beware, i wouldnt use the isolation valves a on a gledhill if i were you. they leak 99.infinity of the time.

the only other way to do it would be to drain it down, but then you would have to do that anyway if the pump valves started leaking. drain it down and you might start another whole load of trouble.

i would look at this problem more by percentages. there is a higher percentage that there is an airlock or blockage than there is of the pump impellor being detached.

How many times do I have to say the pump is blocked solid with sludge :eek:
Hey I'm putting my kneck on the line here :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back