Newbie needs experience

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

just bought a house, very pleased with it.
We are considering installing a wood burner (defra / 5kW / 12mm hearth) ~ total cost = £1100
Can anyone tell me if this will or will not pay for itself when we sell the house in ~ 4 years time? I appreciate its a difficult question, opinions are welcome :)

The house is a small semi detached house in north staffs cost us £120k to buy.

This money might otherwise be invested a new floor for approx same price once installed.

Many thanks,
W

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't think so if you mean you will get 1100 more than without.
You're unlikely to get 121,100.

I don't think fittings make a huge amount of difference.
In a small semi some may even see a wood burner - is it just in a normal fireplace? - as a disadvantage.

It is potentially replacing a gas fire place that's not very pretty. We like the look of a woodburner, just not so much the price!
In what way might people see it as a disadvantage, i hadn't considered that aspect,
thanks matey,
W

Sponsored Links
Stuff rarely adds its own value back when selling a house. It is the overall condition and appearance that makes ot easier to sell.

Did you buy your last car on the basis that you will get your cashback in 4 years?

In what way might people see it as a disadvantage, ?

1- You can't turn it on for 10 minutes when back from t'pub

2 - Most women hate creepie crawlies. Creepy Crawlies love log baskets

3 - I could go on but I'm bored now

Things like extensions can add value to property but adding nice things like fires or floors add saleability.

Disadvantages are dust, and if it's anything like the woodburner we had, too much heat even when turned right down!
There's the old joke about keeping warm cutting wood as well. . .
If you've got gas, it's cheap, clean and as already said, convenient. Get a gas "wood burner" with flames. Not as efficient but best of both worlds.

Also, please be aware a gas lined flue isn't suitable for a wood burner, if this affects you.
Personally, I'd go for a good looking gas fire replacement.
John :)

You're asking the wrong question for this site. we're here to help you on diy jobs. Your initial question was best suited to an estate agent.

Someone will view the house, and buy it simply because its got a wood burner; whilst others will walk away just because of it, so this is about doing it for yourself, not for the future value of the property.

You've said that you have a gas fireplace, but not what type. I'll assume you have an existing fireplace, but is it a gas fire inset, or in front of the fireplace. Have you stripped it out yet, and checked if there's a flue liner or just the original open flue.

By the sound of Daves comments, his fire was too large for the size of the room, as having installed both a 4kw, and a 5kw model, I found the 4kw burned more efficiently for the size of room than the 5kw did. But his comments were valid. Gas is cheap and controllable, but it'll need connecting by a gas engineer.

It's not difficult to install a log wood burner, and if you've got access to wood then it's something worth considering. Pine isn't great for burning as it burns quickly, and can produce an oily residue, so you need to make sure it's cleaned at least once a year. But the upside, is that you've got free fuel. A log burner stove is about 80% efficient, whereas an open fire is only 15%, but both work on the principle of pulling cold air in from the outside, and then sending the warmed air up the chimney, so if you can pick up a burner that has an optional external air feed that goes to an outside wall, then that's the best option.

It costs £143 for the building control notice. Assuming you've got a hearth, then you first need to get the chimney swept. You use a wire brush on a drill to clean area for the closure plate in the throat of the chimney. You drill and fit the bars for the closure plate, and cut the plate to size. Drop the liner down the chimney (you may need scaffolding for safety purpose) you'll need about 8 bags of vermiculite to insulate the liner, and then a header plate to keep the liner in place, and then fit a cowling with bird deterrents on it to keep the rain out. Then you slide the burner into place, and fit the internal flue. Seal all joints with fire cement (as well as the gaps around the closure plate) fit a CO2 alarm, and call building control to sign it off. Job done.

Having said all that, you don't need to fit a flue liner or vermiculite, but it makes the burner more safer and controllable. I did a tiling job in a fireplace that had no flue liner, and that showed me how easy it was to fit a stove was.

By the time you've taken in to account the building control notice and the scaffolding, you may not save a great deal, but you can pick up some great bargains on eBay, and put in a much higher quality burner than you'd get for the price you've been quoted.

Sponsored Links
Back