Newbie Query - Fitting Tongue and Groove Floorboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I destroyed some floorboards during the removal process

I plan to purchase some replacement T&G floorboard

However what I wanted to know is whether i will need to cut the tongues on all the boards in order to make them fit?

If so what would be the best/most efficient way to remove the tongues?

During removal, I used a multi tool to plunge/cut the old boards out. I also have a plunge saw

Sponsored Links
Even if you can get boards of the same depth and width, the tongues might not line up with the grooves in the existing boards. Reclaimed boards might be an option

Blup

Even if you can get boards of the same depth and width, the tongues might not line up with the grooves in the existing boards. Reclaimed boards might be an option

Blup
By your comment, i assume that you dont need to cut the tongue on the new board if they line up with the grooves of the existing floorboards?

If they don't line up, then should i cut the tongue on the new board? If so, what tool would make light work of this?

To remove tongues on new boards use a sharp hand plane, circular saw, multitool and saw blade, power planer, chisel and hammer, jigsaw, etc. Take your pick, loads of ways although a nice sharp plane us the one likely to give the best results

And yes, if the new tongue/old groove or old tongue/new groove don't line up then the tongues need to be removed

Sponsored Links
Have you got a router? You can clean the tongues off with that or even trim them so the new boards will engage with the old. (Obvs you'll leave the tongues & grooves where new board is linking to new board)

And good luck with getting boards even close if your place is Victorian- 25mm finished T & G will be v pricey! Depending on what area you have to replace, consider 6mm ply or MDF strips underneath 18mm boards

Have you got a router? You can clean the tongues off with that or even trim them so the new boards will engage with the old. (Obvs you'll leave the tongues & grooves where new board is linking to new board)

And good luck with getting boards even close if your place is Victorian- 25mm finished T & G will be v pricey! Depending on what area you have to replace, consider 6mm ply or MDF strips underneath 18mm boards
Thanks for the luck :D

The Building was built in 1991, so hopefully I'll have a chance

Depending on what area you have to replace, consider 6mm ply or MDF strips underneath 18mm boards
I NEVER, EVER use MDF in a flooring situation. Plywood, hardwood and softwood can all be used as packers - MDF beneath a floor is likely to act like cardboard and simply wick up.any and all moisture, which is far from ideal. Also, like OSB and chipboard when used for packers it is hardly the strongest of materials.

Well chuffed!

The replacement 18mm tongue and groove floorboard slotted in perfectly with the existing floorboard :D:D

I NEVER, EVER use MDF in a flooring situation. Plywood, hardwood and softwood can all be used as packers - MDF beneath a floor is likely to act like cardboard and simply wick up.any and all moisture, which is far from ideal. Also, like OSB and chipboard when used for packers it is hardly the strongest of materials.
I screwed some scrap wood (from a pallet) underneath the floorboards for extra support

On first look, it seems like a decent job

And most importantly, no squeaks ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20200524_180432910.jpg
    IMG_20200524_180432910.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_20200524_180451870.jpg
    IMG_20200524_180451870.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 262
  • 15903405966046412099243747904983.jpg
    15903405966046412099243747904983.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 240
Fair point on raw shop-bought MDF, my stock is all ex pantomime floors (with a lot of paint and glaze on them)- they've already survived being mopped once a day for 8 weeks :)

Stop that right now.

Can't even say 'to me to you' now- has to be 'to me to me'. A world without a Chuckle Brother is a sad world

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back