Newbie question - what am I looking at here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been lurking here for a bit getting some great ideas about our damp chimney. So I’ve taken the plunge and started stripping it back - and I’ve fallen at the first hurdle :)

what am I looking at here?

F56D7065-0781-439B-9CD3-A95A88EF6A38.jpeg

Top layer is plaster, but what is the grey stuff with stones / pebbles? Some kind of lime based render?

For context, it’s a Victorian house - upper floor chimney breast.

Sorry for the newbie question! Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
Looks like thermalite block.

Ahhh of course it does! The fireplace IS blocked up - but this patch is way up at the top (3m+ ceiling height) - I had expected to find the original brick chimney up there?

I guess it depends on whom carried out the work?

Sponsored Links
Whatever that is its possibly irrelevant to your purpose?
What exactly are you hoping to achieve in that bedroom with that chimney breast?
Is it simply to deal with the "damp" presenting itself on the bedroom chimney breast?

Yeah the end goal is sorting the damp :).

I was planning on stripping back to brick and then taking stock and formulating a plan - but then got thrown a bit by not finding brick :)

Up to you but if you want more help then just say?

Oh I almost certainly will need more help ;). I think I’m ok for the moment tho, thank you all for helping :)

its not thermal block. that’s old mortar consisting of ash coal crushed stone and lime.
dont get it in your eye , it’s sharp and a nightmare to get out.

Oh interesting, that would make more sense given the location on the wall - so would that have been used as a render/plaster do you think?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back