I have messed up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I moved in there was a damp spot up one side of the the chimney breast I hacked away and found it had been patched up with plasterboard. The wall is lime mortor and lime render with what looks like normal plastering top. I have inserted Dpm inside and out But here's were I messed up I have rendered up to the lime render with sharp sand and cement firstly I put two coats of pva then two coats of render first 4:1 second 5:1 both scored on the surface and if that wasn't enough I hadn't put a corner beed on :(

What shal I do now? top coat still green.

Thanks nath

Sponsored Links
You dont need a corner bead!

You can form the corner using a straight edge.

Thanks so you don't think it's worth the hassle taking it off, will it be ok as the render has no lime?

Thanks nath

Nath 89,

We use corner beads on everything, its quick, provides a screed for ruling off, and simplifies the skimming.

But, as above, dont take anything off, work with what you've got.

Have you swept & smoke tested the flue(s)?

Why not use a 9" x 9" hit and miss vent in the c/breast?

What do you mean by Dpm ( a membrane? Or a DPC?)

Dont worry about what kind of sand you used.

Its necessary to find the cause of the damp, perhaps its soot in an unswept flue - research damp in c/breasts on here and the building forum.

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for the info dan 09

The damp was coming from out side were the sheeting 4" had stopped because of a wall what was butted up the the house, I've chopped the wall back and insured more 4" damp.

Inside I bricked the fireplace up put the air brick in and plan to put pepper pots on top and just have a electric wall mounted fire.

I got paranoid about putting cement over lime I have more bits to render and fill. Would 5:1:1 be better next time or something ready made like browning?

I still dont understand the damp issues.

Use whatever sand and lime or cement you have at hand, just put it on - skim with board finish.

Dont use browning, stick with render.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back