Newbie to Amtico help, replace with Balterio?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just exchanged on an apartment that has Amtico fitted to the open plan kitchen/ dining/ lounge area. The previous owners had it put down in about 2007 and I have the original receipt showing there is 6mm plywood fitted beneath.

I am not a fan of the Amtico that is down at the moment (especially in the lounge/ sitting area) so was considering how I could replace just this area.

I assume the existing Amtico will come off easily (ish) leaving the plywood beneath but have the following questions if I want to replace part of it which is an area of about 150-200 sq.ft probably.

If I replaced it with Balterio, would the plywood have to come up?
Does the Balterio need an underlany on top of the plywood if the plywood stays?
What do I use as the border/ tread between the Amtico/ Balterio?
Does it matter there will be a height difference between the two (maybe 5mm ish)?
Is Balterio flooring a DIY job to someone that is fairly DIY handy?

Or would I be best just to replace part of the Amtico with another Amtico so it keeps the same level?

All help/ advise/ suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Stuart

Sponsored Links
You could lay Balterio over the old Amtico, it will need a seperate underlay, you can buy trims in the range that will cope with height difference between different levels.

Like most products, competent DIY'ers could fit Balterio but in my experience, a pro will achieve better results in less time AND be able to advise you on all the pros and cons of height levels, expansion gaps, beadings, nosings and profiles, door and unit clearances etc etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back