newbie trying to fix coat hanger to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

who thought the world of screws and drilling two simple holes will be so confusing to me!

complete newbie here needing help with fixting something to wall.

bought a wood coat hanger (weighs about 4-5 kg). seller said he will include wall fixings but none included. so i am now in need to find some screws to fix this to a brick wall.

the wood material of coat hanger is about 1 inch thick, so i was thinking of getting 2.5 inch long screws.

i had couple of old screws which are shorter but i inserted them into the holes within hanger and i think i need 8mm screws. i had few questions if someone can help!

on screws:

1) can i buy screws in any smaller amount than 50/100 packs anywhere?
2) will 2.5 inch screw good enough?
3) where can i buy 2.5 inch screw? i had a look on tool station but i couldnt find any 6mm screws which are 2.5 inch long?
4) do i need any particular type of screw? when i search for masonry screw it comes up with very expensive screws? dont think i need any special screws?
4) how about wall plug? what size?

on drilling hole:
1) for a 8 mm screw what size drill bit do i use? 8mm is the screw head dia if i understand it so not sure if i need 5 or 6 mm drill bit?

i have just bought a bosch SDS drill (PBH 2000).

ta

Sponsored Links
If the coat hanger is really 5KG then 1.5" of screw into the wall ain't going to do it.

I'd use 5mm or even 7mm, to be honest. I'd assume the brick is more than 7mm deep!?!

You probably also want to use at least four, and ensure you have brick/concrete rawl plugs.

By the way, your SDS drill will decimate the wall if you're not careful - you don't have a traditional hammer drill, do you? Make sure you set the depth gauge correctly and don't push on the drill - it will cut 7mm in a couple of seconds.

The size of the drill you will use is dependent on the diameter of the rawlplug so I'd expect that it will be 8mm but as you haven't bought the plugs yet, that's kind of a moot point!

Do you have a screwfix store nearby? They are far cheaper than B&Q. You could also try Wickes.

Your local DIY store will sell small lots

No 10 screws will do the job

Brown plugging

7mm sds bit

Length of screw generaly done by trial and error but 2.5"is a good starting point

For small amounts of screws try looking for a local hardware shop or builders merchant, will be cheaper than a DIY shack as well.

Sponsored Links
If the coat hanger is really 5KG then 1.5" of screw into the wall ain't going to do it.

I'd use 5mm or even 7mm, to be honest. I'd assume the brick is more than 7mm deep!?!

You probably also want to use at least four, and ensure you have brick/concrete rawl plugs.

By the way, your SDS drill will decimate the wall if you're not careful - you don't have a traditional hammer drill, do you? Make sure you set the depth gauge correctly and don't push on the drill - it will cut 7mm in a couple of seconds.

The size of the drill you will use is dependent on the diameter of the rawlplug so I'd expect that it will be 8mm but as you haven't bought the plugs yet, that's kind of a moot point!

Do you have a screwfix store nearby? They are far cheaper than B&Q. You could also try Wickes.

Thanks.

Did you mean cm and non mm in the bold highlighted part of your post?

I have screwfix / wickes / toolstation all nearby but none seem to sell screws in less than 100/200 packs.

i will try to find a 3 inch screw, giving me at least 2.5inch in the brick. i will get the brick rawl plugs

thanks for your note re SDS drill. I dont have a hammer drill as your predicted. I only bought a SDS as i got it for £50 brand new and its a bosch one. So thought its better than hammer drill and was certainly cheaper as well.....

Any thoughts on type of screw? or do i get a normal multi purpose screw?

will try to find some local diy store and see how it goes.

I think we're getting a bit confused here.....use a 6, 7 or 8 mm plug, and a masonry drill bit to match.
You'll need a hammer drill (doesn't have to be SDS) if you are going into masonry.
Wickes etc do plastic bags with 20 or so screws in - there's always some left over) 21/2" screws are fine. (thats 60mm x 4.5 for example, in metric.
You don't want hammer fixings or bolts.
Use a spirit level to get the hangers level.
John :)

I think we're getting a bit confused here.....use a 6, 7 or 8 mm plug, and a masonry drill bit to match.
You'll need a hammer drill (doesn't have to be SDS) if you are going into masonry.
Wickes etc do plastic bags with 20 or so screws in - there's always some left over) 21/2" screws are fine. (thats 60mm x 4.5 for example, in metric.

Thanks. The reason i mentioned 8 mm screws is as the wooden coat hanger is pre drilled with some holes. I put a 10 mm screw to check hole size and it didnt go in. 8 mm screw did and so i thought i need 8mm screw size.

Thanks. The reason i mentioned 8 mm screws is as the wooden coat hanger is pre drilled with some holes. I put a 10 mm screw to check hole size and it didnt go in. 8 mm screw did and so i thought i need 8mm screw size.

You are getting mixed up with guage size and mm ,there are imperial size screws sold by guage No common sizes 6, 7, 8, 10, 12,metric screws common guage sizes are 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 6.masonary bits are sold dia size in mm,plastic plugging is also sold in mm sizes

Also it's the gauge number or the diameter of the shank (the screwed part), not the head as you put in the OP.

thanks for all your replies. i have now managed to fix the hanger. ta

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back