Newell Post replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a very solid 70's style stair banister I wish to replace with modern spindles etc. It has 4 square newell posts which are well secure.

What I was thinking of doing was cutting down the old posts to about 12 inches and attaching the new turned newells to the base.

I am unsure how I would fit the new turned newel's into the existing newell bases. All the newell's I have seen appear to have a tapered end.

I was considering buying them and cutting the taper off and inserting some type of metal rod between the old and the new.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Much appreciated roofer

++++++++
Moderator's note:

I have deleted your duplicate post.

Reply pasted below.

Mod Rupert
+++++++++

IJWS15 said:
I have used Burridge's parts in the past - their instructions are to cut off the newel (height varies top/internediate/bottom), bore a large hole in the newel (2" IIRC) and the new post is glued into the hole - worked fine for me.

Sponsored Links
Most replacement newels have a straight circular spigot that fits into a hole drilled into the end of the cut off newel post. There are set heights to cut the old newels off at to give the correct handrail height so don't just chop them off at a random 12".

Have a look at the Burbidge site and send for a stairparts catalogue which gives all the detail, I think they also do a video/DVD. This subject has come up a couple of times in the last few months so try a search as well.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back