Newly installed Showerfroce 9.5kW shower won't work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I'm tearing my hair out trying to get my newly installed Showerforce 9.5kW shower working. I've even had them send me a new solenoid and pressure thingy (yellow thing that pops up when there's sufficient water pressure). Basically, when I screw every thing in and turn it on it initially it works perfectly - I run it for 60 seconds on cold with the temperature dial to max as suggested for running first time, then reduce the temperature to midway then up the power to medium or high. All perfect. Until I switch the power to off and try to switch it on again... no water flow. The low pressure light is on. And yet the pressure was fine before, in fact very good. I'm thinking the solenoid works okay it's just the power is not getting to it. Or am I getting this all wrong? The soilenoid came with a new board and when I connect this I get the following - switch the power to cold and it comes on for about 7 seconds (phased shut down?) and then the water switches off with the low pressure light on. Switch the power to off and the water suddenly comes on again for another 7 seconds (phased shutdown again?). Any help or suggestions would be brilliant. The shower is on it's own circuit with a big 6mm cable and an RCD fitted by an electrician. Please help! Jo

Sponsored Links
What is the supply pressure and is there sufficient dynamic pressure when the shower is on?

If thats too much for you to work out try blocking about a third of the shower head holes to reduce the water flow and see if that makes any difference.

I stick to working on boilers because they are easier to repair than showers!

Tony

Hiya, thanks for your replies. Certainly is a difference between the two pcbs - one (the original) just says low pressure and doesn't work at all and the other (new one) comes on for the 7 seconds then cuts out saying low pressure. With regards the supply pressure I think it is okay - certainly when the shower worked the first time there was no issue - it was a decent shower with a decent flow rate. We flushed the pipework out beforehand and it shot more than half way down the bath. Any other ideas? I'm gonna ring their helpline tomorrow - maybe they can send another pcb... Any other ideas I can try in the meantime? Thanks, Jo

Sponsored Links
Try blocking about a third of the shower head holes to reduce the water flow and see if that makes any difference.

Tony

Hiya, The problem is there is no water flow :confused: So blocking some of the holes in the shower head doesn't make any difference. I've rung up Showerforce (Bristan?) and they keep saying it's the solenoid and are going to send out another, but I already replaced that once - I can't see two solenoids having the same problem. I'm gonna have to go for getting an engineer out instead I think :(

Certainly is a difference between the two pcbs - one (the original) just says low pressure and doesn't work at all and the other (new one) comes on for the 7 seconds then cuts out saying low pressure.

But previously you said it comes on for 7 seconds???

If you have told us correctly, then its for that seven seconds that I am asking you to block a third of the holes ( to increase the internal pressure within the shower unit.

I am not suggesting this will necessarily show up anything. But it might!

What I am expecting/hoping is that the pressure switch is indeed registering a low pressure and blocking the holes will increase the internal pressure and stop that from happening. Thats as a test, not a cure!

As part of fault finding one creates situations which alter the operating parameters to see what effect that has on the fault! That information can provide useful clues to the cause of the fault.

Of course if you dont want to bother then its up to you! But having posted on here I thouhgt you wanted help with identifying the problem.

Is the shower head the same one which comes with the heater unit?

Tony

Hi Tony, I get it now. Sorry for being so slow. I'd swapped back to the original pcb. When I get home tonight I'll have a try. Of course I want help. It's just that I didn't understand. I'm no expert as you can tell. So please don't take it the wrong way (you've got me in tears here i feel so stupid)

What I can't understand is why Showerforce are sending you the parts to fit yourself, rather than sending their engineer out to diagnose and fix the shower themselves :confused:

Tony - I didn't get to mess around with the shower last night as hoped (got an OU assignment to do) so don't know if the blocking the shower head holes helps with the diagnosis or not. It's brand new by the way so I put up the shower head etc. that came with the unit.

Gas4you - They seemed quite happy to send me out parts but I've now got an engineer coming out to have a look at it tomorrow too. Couldn't find my receipt but I have found evidence from my card statement of the purchase so as long as it was installed okay labour (as well as parts) should be covered free of charge under the guarantee. Even if there is something wrong with the installation the £70 odd will be worth not having the worry anymore. Can't think what might be wrong with the installation - had an electrician wire it all up, it's got its an MCB and RCB, pull cord isolating switch, I grounded the bath and pipes, got an isolating valve in the cold water mains supply, and the pipe was a simple push fit. Cross fingers anyway it will all be working by tomorrow evening.

Just to cheer you up showerforce(newteam) electric showers are just about the worst shower you can get. I could get them for 35 quid legit and said to people don`t expect them to last much past g`tee . Not a lot to lose but when you add in installation and inconvience they are not worth it.
Once it breaks out of g`tee bin it.

I cannot immagine a worse shower than triton!

I was called for one of those telephone trade surveys on showers. When we had finished I asked the interviewer if everyone else though Triton was the worst and he agreed that most others did as well.

Tony

I cannot immagine a worse shower than triton!
You haven't seen a Gainsborough then.

In any case, Triton have a vast range of models, some better/worse than others.

I was called for one of those telephone trade surveys on showers. When we had finished I asked the interviewer if everyone else though Triton was the worst and he agreed that most others did as well.
It doesn't make it true, though, does it. :rolleyes:

Its the perception that counts!

Anyway I have had personal experience of their total lack of interest when a Triton shower pump of theirs failed after a week!

Tony

Its the perception that counts!
In that case, my perception is that your perception is wrong.

Anyway I have had personal experience of their total lack of interest when a Triton shower pump of theirs failed after a week!
After one week it would be the supplier's problem, so I wouldn't have called Triton in the first place. No wonder they weren't interested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back