Next door neighbour infringing on privacy with decking

The ground appears to slope considerably, going uphill left to right as viewed in the pictures. Your own raised section, as judged by the top of the brick wall holding the ground up, appears to be several feet above the bottom of your back door, and only a few inches lower than his decking. Is his ground level, at the highest part of the slope, the same level as yours?

Sponsored Links
Sigh, is the property with the decking a flat or a house? If it is a flat then it does not have any permitted development rights and all of the talk about height is irrelevant as it would need planning permission no matter what.
Yes it is a flat. Think I mentioned that before...

Thankyou for your thoughtful idea...but if you look at the photos , my garden is solid Cornish soil at that top bit on the far right of the photo :cool:
Ahh, I see now! So your neighbour is striving to create a flat area for alfresco dining etc, which we can all understand, but if there's no precedent for this in the area, he's either brave (for being the first to try it) or... ignorant?

Always going to be worse on a hill.
Indeed. This is what it looked like when they moved in last summer. To give you an idea of the perspective. The decking is now up to the height of the fence and the wall at the end of the garden. They changed the fence to a wooden gate, seen in my photos.

Attachments

• 121717_100913002611_IMG_07_0000.jpeg
    121717_100913002611_IMG_07_0000.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 92
Sponsored Links
That was always going to be a difficult area to landscape, I mean anyone just stood up was going to be able to see into your garden.
Perhaps ask him to fence it of for privacy.

The ground appears to slope considerably, going uphill left to right as viewed in the pictures. Your own raised section, as judged by the top of the brick wall holding the ground up, appears to be several feet above the bottom of your back door, and only a few inches lower than his decking. Is his ground level, at the highest part of the slope, the same level as yours?
His ground level is about 4ft above mine if you mean where his back door is compared to my back door. At the highest part of the slope in his garden, where he's put the decking, that would be about 6 ft above my ground level . So if he puts a table and chairs on the decking come summer , he'll be able to look into my kitchen window and my back patio

That was always going to be a difficult area to landscape, I mean anyone just stood up was going to be able to see into your garden.
Perhaps ask him to fence it of for privacy.
If he were to fence that off, I'd have no daylight in my kitchen at all, because it's 4ft lower as it is

Ahh, I see now! So your neighbour is striving to create a flat area for alfresco dining etc, which we can all understand, but if there's no precedent for this in the area, he's either brave (for being the first to try it) or... ignorant?
Ignorant was the first word that popped into my head when I first realized what was going on. Also a few more words which I'll leave to your imagination...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back