Next Door's Roof a Bit Higher Than Roofline!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can someone please advise on this if possible?

I visited my MinLaw who is a widow. MinLaw's neighbours have recently finished a dormer loft extension, everything has otherwise been plain sailin' and MinLaw has very good relationship with next doors.

When I was walking up her street, I glanced up at neighbouring house roof ridgeline only to notice that it looks just a little bit higher than it was before.

The neghb's builders have obviously used new roof ridgeline tiles and in addition, they have added to the ridgeline (on top of these new tiles) what looks like a metal bar or flashing fitment which is clearly visble from the road and has increased the neghb's roof ridgeline next to MinLaw's by about an inch and a half, completely "beefing it up."

I have never seen this on any other roof ridgeline's with dormers, is this a new thing?

MinLaw just wondered if it is better to "let it go", or is it going to hold up any future sale for my MinLaw when she eventually wants to sell because of what the neghb's have done?

As I say, it's only about an inch and half taller than MinLaw's roofline.

Any advice on this one greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't it be advantageous in the event that she (or someone that buys her place) wants to follow suit?

Sponsored Links
Actually, that was the very first thing that went zooming across my mind...

Thanks for that.

Wouldn't it be advantageous in the event that she (or someone that buys her place) wants to follow suit?
I'm not sure "Can build a dormer 37mm higher to match neighbour's dodgy building work" is a selling point in the current market. :cautious:

Yes, but the dormer build is quite a good one and nothing dodgy about it and MinLaw has been watching them like a hawk for any encroachment etc, and the builders have been good not putting any flashing over her side of the party wall etc.

They have built a really nice little dormer to be honest, fits in just nicely, nothing sticks out and doesn't impose in any way.

The dormer cheek is constructed on MinLaw's neighbour's side of the Party Wall. Apparently, we have been informed, it is better for the structural integrity of the building if it's done in this way.

Of course whoever decides to build a loft extension on our side of the roof can probably use the Party Wall Act to build up the party wall to meet it.

Also a Party Wall Enclosure Agreement will have to be set in place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back