NEXT Lighting Problems...

That looks like pitting caused by arcing caused by a bad connection between the lamp and the lampholder.

Did you screw the lamps in nice and tight? Can you take a photo of the inside of the lampholder? You might need to shine a torch in there if your camera doesn't have a flash.

Sponsored Links
They look ok. Just try the new bulbs and see how it goes. Osram and philips are good makes.

Thanks for the help, will give that a try, probably been over-reacting, but it's the 1st time I have ever installed a ceiling lamp, paranoid that I had done something wrong & was going to burn the house down, lol

Sponsored Links
Right. Update time.

Took me about a fortnight to gee myself up to go & buy some bulbs. I came home with some halogen globe bulbs from B&Q, a named brand but I can't remember what the name is. I couldn't find Osram or Philips locally would you believe!

Removed the lamp unit from the ceiling & checked connections - all seemed ok.

Fitted the bulbs & switched on - success, no problem. For 3 weeks.

One blew the other night, no-one saw it blow, it was just off when I walked in. Tonight a 2nd has gone, again no-one noticed it blowing but it has gone so I can't tell if they went bang like the 1st lot (non-halo type).

Do we think it is more dodgy bulbs?

One thing that has happened recently (before the 1st unit went) is we have had a water seepage through our shower which has leaked through the ceiling in the same room as the light I am having issues with.

Is it possible there could be a connection, ie water ingress into something? Or does the fact that the single bulb is currently ok mean that that can effectively be ruled out?

Going to get another couple of bulbs & try them...wish me luck.

Actually, thinking about it, maybe I have nailed it. The light is positioned directly under my youngest son's bedroom. He often moves around (jumps, generally bounces around - he is:cool: and the light fitting does vibrate when he does this. Our old one did it too, but it had the small halogen capsule bulbs, whereas this has larger globe bulbs. Is it possible he could be inadvertantly causing bulb failure by vibration?

If this is likely, then replacing bulbs will be a continual process. Would LED bulbs be an option in this case? And if so, any suggestions for good sources (ie cheap!) of bulbs?

Over to you guys...

you can get LED or CFL type lamps in ses fitting
Is the light on a dimmer as the switch and lamps need to be compatible

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back