Outside light/Hallway light problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and was hoping someone can help me....!

Today I noticed my outside light had went out so went to replace the bulb. As I unscrewed it, I could feel the bulb sticking, ( lamp was old), so used my screwdriver to loosen it. This resulted in the fuse tripping. I replaced the fuse and remembered to turn off the power supply!! I put in a new 60w screw in bulb and turned on the power. Now here is my problem, the outside light will only come on when my hall light is on... This was never a problem before. both could turn on/off seperately. The switch in my hall which controls the hall and outside light is a 2 gang switch. I also have another single switch down my hall for controlling my hall light. Has the fuse tripping caused a problem or is it something else? (I would also like to add that the outside lamp is weather beaten and it felt like I could only screw the bulb in 3/4 of the way....)

Thanks in advance for your help,

Sponsored Links
Are you sure this was never a problem before?
A little investigation is needed, I would start at the outside lamp fitting and check what configuration of cable you have in there.
But does sound like this problem may have already existed and you may have just noticed it!
Do you have any test equipment such as a multimeter and do you know how to safely isolate a circuit, without the use of a screwdriver ;)

Are you sure this was never a problem before?
A little investigation is needed, I would start at the outside lamp fitting and check what configuration of cable you have in there.
But does sound like this problem may have already existed and you may have just noticed it!
Do you have any test equipment such as a multimeter and do you know how to safely isolate a circuit, without the use of a screwdriver ;)

Hi and thanks for the quick reply, It was deffo working OK before, on the 2 gang switch the left switch worked the hallway and the right the outside light. Now I need to switch on the left (hallway) for the right (outside) light to come on. The outside light seems to turn on and off normally with its own switch as long as the hallway switch is turned on!! Strange I know, I do have a multimeter will have to remember to isolate!!! :D lol

Sounds strange that this is no functioning abnormally.
How long has the outside light not been working and during that period has there been an alteration to this circuit, such as new switches or light fittings?
Also has any other work been done in the house, that could have effected this circuit?

Sponsored Links
Hi, yes new light fitting in the hallway was added recently. I agree with you and believe I may have damaged the existing wires connected to the outside lamp. I will call a spark and get him to check it after xmas,

Thanks again for all your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back