Lights Out!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I wonder if anyone can give me some idea what the problem may be with overhead and outside lighting?

Our outside light went out and my husband changed the bulb. Then it went out again, the hall light and living room overhead also stopped working. However the fuse didn't trip.

Anyone any ideas? I'm quite happy to pay for a qualified electrician if necessary, I just want some idea of what the problem and possible cost may be.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just a few details: the living room light is a five bulb uplight, and the hall light is a three bulb down light. The indoor switch for the outside security light is back to back on the same wall as the switch for the living room light, it that makes sense!

The circuit breaker under the stairs did not trip and the first we knew the lights we out was when we tried to switch the hall light on.

Downstairs there are also a four bulb spot strip in the kitchen and a three bulb uplight in the dining room. There is also a switch in the dining room which turns on the fan/light in the conservatory. All of these are still working.

But there are no blown fuses in the box under the stairs.

Chances are, you have a loose connection somewhere. If you're feeling confident, turn off all the electrics at the mains.

Then open up, one by one, the light fittings affected, and inspect the connections.

If there is a bundle of wires connected together, chances are, this is where the fault lies. Tighten them up and re-insert any loose cores.

But if there is only one wire coming into each light, the fault may be at the switch. Tighten the terminal screws before you re-fix the lights.

Open the switches up. If there is a chunk of wires entering, with the blacks (blues) connected in the back of the box, the fault may be here. Tighten up and re-insert anything loose. If all the wires connect to the switch, still tighten things up, never hurts.

If there are no neutrals (blues/blacks) connected seperate to the switches, you have junction boxes under the floorboards upstairs. The fault may be here. Good luck with that.

Once your happy, re-fix everything and power up.

Sponsored Links
Thank you so much for your response. I will try all the steps you have described and let you know!

Thanks again

The fault may be in a fitting that is still apparently working correctly. A loose wire in the cable running out of the working fitting to the next fitting could mean no power to the rest of the circuit.

Wow you guys are such heros! Followed all the advice re checking fixtures & switches but no luck. Logged back on, saw the second post, checked working lights and bingo! A loose wire in the dining room! Now everything is back in working order and I've saved £65 - £75 + VAT. I am sooooo grateful. Thanks again :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back