Next step? Circuit breaker switches when I turn on dishwasher.

Sponsored Links
Not usually, as it is unusual for water to have a low enough resistance to cause that many amps to flow. I have had it happen to me on one occasion (flood through garage with freezer), but I was extremely surprised and can only put it down to some unexpected side effect.

True, and I once had a large bank, where the cut-out, meter, and 100 way dis-board was several feet under heated water. It continued to operate quite satisfactorily, for days, as the large, flooded basement was pumped out, then for weeks as it dried out, until a contractor to be organised to replace all the MCB's in the dis-board. Heated, because the equipment was in a basement, which was heated by a radiator, fed from the gas boiler.

What can sometimes happen, is moisture causes insulation materials to breakdown, carbonising them, then the carbon has a sufficiently low resistance to alloy sufficient current to flow, as to then trip a MCB.

At Burton PS, I put in a massive water resistance dropper system in. The water had to have a chemical additive, added, to make it sufficiently conductive.

Last edited:
Yes, lots of people get things wrong.

It is an RCD but then so is an RCBO - so it is no good asking if something is an RCBO or an RCD.

Surely you know there is a difference between an RCD and an RCBO, plus what the difference is, and why I asked which of the three it might be?

It is an RCD but then so is an RCBO - so it is no good asking if something is an RCBO or an RCD.
I know it's an RCCB, that's why I framed the picture that way. I don't see how picking up on a slight detail that Eric posted is relevant to this thread.
Anyone want to discuss 'spurs'?
I was never into football. My father in law was a hotspur fan though.

Sponsored Links
Surely you know there is a difference between an RCD and an RCBO, plus what the difference is, and why I asked which of the three it might be?
Pray tell.

I see you have edited the one you even spelt incorrectly.

I fail to see why people are arguing rather than preferring to use the correct names for things.

Pray tell.

I see you have edited the one you even spelt incorrectly.

I fail to see why people are arguing rather than preferring to use the correct names for things.

Now you have reminded me, why I blocked your posts. FYI, I routinely look back at my posts, in a spare moment, to check they are spelled correctly, and make sense. My replies are often typed when I am busy with something else in life, so I do at times make errors in spelling and even miss words out completely.

Thanks for your replies and apologies for the delay.

I tried switching it on again using an extension lead plugged into a socket in the living room. Nothing happened so I thought I might have burnt out the dishwasher. I plugged it back into its normal socket, tried switching it on and it did it again! Not sure why the extension socket didn't work.

This time, I noticed a very, very tiny trail of smoke and a slight whiff of something chemically burnt coming from the side of the control panel. I think this happened before. It actually forced the main switch off next to the meter this time along with one of the switches in the CU.

20231013_151627.jpg20231013_151447.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back