NHS R.I.P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From the first minute of April 1st (oh how they love to really rub it in), the NHS is no more...

Everything is now open to private tender, and whilst a few get rich the rest of us will suffer - literally!...

1948: 'The NHS will last as long as there are folk left with the faith to fight for it'

2013: We lost the faith!

Sponsored Links
Well not everything will be in a competitive tender. GP's are only going to be wanting to tender out to outfits they own. Government recently got beaten back when they tried to stop that.

Afraid not...

I suggest you check out the actual remit of section 75 'rules'...

From the first minute of April 1st (oh how they love to really rub it in), the NHS is no more

HO HO HO, but seriously, WHO world health rankings.

1 France
2 Italy
3 San Marino
4 Andorra
5 Malta
6 Singapore
7 Spain
8 Oman
9 Austria
10 Japan
11 Norway
12 Portugal
13 Monaco
14 Greece
15 Iceland
16 Luxembourg
17 Netherlands
18 United Kingdom

Why should I care?

Sponsored Links
Afraid not...

And you should take a look at when they don't need to advertise.

Cost of tendering is one. another is if the commissioning body thinks only one outfit can supply the service.

Handy that......

Except it doesn't quite say that...

Because how can you be sure 'one outfit can supply the service' without looking at alternatives?

Just like the rail franchising system this is going to be a field day for the legal profession...

That the best you can do ellal, call me troll?

Keep defending your healthcare system that is No.18 and kills 10s thousands of patients through incompetence.

All hail the church of the NHS.

Afraid not...

Section 75 is here...

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2012/7/section/75/enacted

It says the details will be covered by 'regulations' i.e Secondary Legislation.

The latest version of those regulations is here...

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/500/regulation/5/made

Award of a new contract without a competition

5.—(1) A relevant body may award a new contract for the provision of health care services for the purposes of the NHS to a single provider without advertising an intention to seek offers from providers in relation to that contract where the relevant body is satisfied that the services to which the contract relates are capable of being provided only by that provider.

I.e. what I said earlier on. The people buying the services (GPs) can tender out to a company providing services (owned by GPs) without advertising - if the people buying the services (GPs) think it makes sense.

Back to you....

The NHS has ALWAYS been run by private companies.

Every GP surgery runs an NHS contract but as A PRIVATE COMPANY be that an llp or a ltd company or as a partnersip or sole trader outfit.

GPS are NOT NHS staff they are self employed and employ staff to work for them just the same as any other SME you care to name.

The only difference being they supply contract services to the NHS.

Putting GPs in charge of the allocation of services is a huge mistake because they are lazy and will not do any more owrk than they are grudgingly supplying already.

average GP only works a three day week.

The services the public can therefore expect are simple tasks just one step up from putting on a sticking plaster in fact anything the GP can get his practice nurse or worse health care assistant to do.

At best you will get an ECG performed by someone who can take the trace and know where to put the pads but would not know a dodgy ECG readout pattern from a counterfiet signature of the queen.

at worst you will get a leaflet which will miraculously stop your 20 year smoking habit..as if.

Anyone actually requiring a real GP to manage their condition forget it.

GPs have royally stitched up the NHS budgets and are sucking the system dry.

GPs are to me after working with them on the same evolutionary step as ambulance chasing lawyers.

I don't know who, or how many, work for the NHS here.

But when when you want to know what's going on 'at the Coal Face', here's a suggestion - ask those who work AT THE COAL FACE!

14 years, and counting. (Plus so much more in my personal life).

One day there will be a 'Panorama - type' program on this and/or the screw-up which is happening, and has been happening, for many years...

Not the fault of those who went into it for all the right, caring, reasons....

CQC = Impotent & blind! (Complete & Questionable Cockup)

Page 1 and I've already lost the will to post because It's going to turn, has turned, into personal insults...

What would ya do then Big Tone? Please don't say "spend more money" because we are broke.

What would ya do then Big Tone? Please don't say "spend more money" because we are broke.
The truth is I don’t know because I am impotent to do anything; we all are. ‘They’, (the overpaid empty suits), use sound bites like being more ‘LEAN’ and empowering and listening to us. But they don’t! My screen saver makes me puke! It talks about how staff are valued, honestly and respect. It’s complete and utter bull $h1t.

So no matter what we suggest to the (mis)management, it falls on deaf ears. The difficulties and problems are made worse because they are so clueless and, IMHO, like rabbits caught in a car’s headlight. They are currently intending to move my small department to a different place which will make things inordinately difficult and lead to yet more cock-ups! We are up in arms about it because we know the communication between us, (engineers), and other staff. (doctors, SLT’s, OT’s etc.), will turn to $h1t.

Because we have all complained to the mis-management it seems to have gone quiet and, wait for it, they have said we will "have a consultation" over the matter. Well excuse me, doesn’t a consultation come before a decision has been made? Do you not try and get at the facts before making a change? This is the kind of moronic managers we are dealing with whioh, to be fair, are just puppets to Government policy.

So, like I say, if you only knew what is really going on at grass roots level, ask those who are trying to do it. Take today for instance. I need to see patients in Stoke and Hereford this week but there is no car available. The reason is because we have about 20 people, (doctors, SLT’s, OT’s and Engineers again), all vying for one of just three available pool cars. Cars which they are looking to take away from us next year because of more budget restraints. (That’s yet another story)

I could honestly write a book on it but this is just the tip of the iceberg they are not telling you about. I have never had to apologise to patients and their family and carers so much in my life for things which we cannot do, or do promptly. Sometimes, more often lately, the people I see, whom are often terminally ill, die before I get to see and help them. Imagine how that makes me feel and, more importantly, how let down the family feels. :cry:

This is just some of what ‘they’ are not telling you in the media. I am so frustrated by it that I am seriously contemplating going back to America, to a job I had there many years ago. When I joined the NHS in 1999 I was overjoyed because, being someone who likes to help others, it was so much more than ‘just a job’ to me.

I have been blessed with good health, unlike my dear late brother, so to give something back was, and still is, something I am very passionate about. But to see it going down the pan like it is, is truly heartbreaking for me and all my work colleagues here; what’s left of them that is. (That’s also another story).

:idea: It's funny how they always have money for ever more overpaid empty suits. Yes, that's what we need, more managers and usless consultants. That'll help matters... :evil:

The problem is the NHS is a large government funded organisation.

Those overpaid suits you complain of Big Tone, well, that's just the inevitable symptom of large government funded organisations. Organisations that don't face competitive pressure, always become top heavy.

Competition trims the fat, privatization is the best way to foster competition, except like the rail, water and power, the government is privatizing in a way that fosters little competition, without competition private companies with guaranteed funding will just bloat as much as they always have, cept people will blame privatization and lack of investment, exactly like they do for rail water and power.

The problem is the NHS is a large government funded organisation.

Those overpaid suits you complain of Big Tone, well, that's just the inevitable symptom of large government funded organisations. Organisations that don't face competitive pressure, always become top heavy.

Competition trims the fat, privatization is the best way to foster competition, except like the rail, water and power, the government is privatizing in a way that fosters little competition, without competition private companies with guaranteed funding will just bloat as much as they always have, cept people will blame privatization and lack of investment, exactly like they do for rail water and power.
Couldn’t agree more Aron. The NHS, well any free health system, is a black hole for money. How much health care is too much? There’s no such thing as too much care but what I have always said, about many subjects really, is why don’t we look around the world and see what works best and learn from them. France has been mentioned somewhere here for top health care. So how do they do it and what are we doing wrong?

I can give a little example of America, which always comes in for criticism: If I wanted to see my doctor over there I would have to make what they called a ‘co-payment’. It was a small amount, ($15 IIRC), but it helped stop people going to see their GP over a common cold or toe fungus. Now contrast that with something I do here. Calling on my experience in the NHS, one part of what I do is effectively give equipment out to patients which can be worth thousands of pounds. But because the ‘end user’ attaches no value to it, it gets broken by them or carers. So on the one hand you cannot charge patients for equipment but at the same time you have to ask yourself do you keep replacing things which are carelessly broken?

This is where, IMO, a small token payment would make people think about how they treat these freebies. I think a prescription charge is up to about £8 but a typical piece of equipment I might install for someone could cost us, the taxpayer, anything up to £5,000! But there is no value attached to it so therefore I doesn’t matter if it gets broken. This is just one fundamental flaw in our system IMO but hey, what do I know; I only work in the service and no one ever asks me.

With most things there is often a middle ground; a compromise. The principles upon which the NHS was founded are, or have been, the envy of the world. While I recognise the need for change and saw, first hand, the amount of waste and inefficiency, in true Tory fashion they have gone from one extreme to another in an obsessive campaign to save money at all costs - to the detriment of decent health care.

This is no way belittles or negates the great work the NHS does. But it’s a crying shame we are doing it despite the policies and not because of them. I currently have about a dozen patients who have been waiting on me to do something, (some for over 20 weeks), which is completely out of my hands because we don’t have the money and resources. Maybe they will die before I get to them. I guess that’s one way of getting the waiting list down but how would you feel if it was someone you love... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back