NHS R.I.P

So that's twice you've bottled in one thread! The BMA are a trades union, a very militant one, have an axe to grind of their own, and do a cracking job for their members.
I've 'bottled' nothing...

You on the other hand have spread a disproportionate amount of bovine excrement... ;)

Sponsored Links
Why do these dabates keep going on about America, why not the rest of Europe which also uses insurance models, and provides top quality care?
And that excellent care can come at quite a high cost. A friend of mine's wife was taken extremely ill whilst on holiday in Majorca. She spent about 6 or 7 weeks in hospital there. Shortly after their arrival home in the UK the final bill arrived from the hospital. Over 23,000 Euros (of which their insurance company paid about half) leaving them with just short of 12,000 Euros to find.

Healthcare is expensive, what makes you think the NHS is cheaper, other than you don't get to see the bill directly?

The NHS quotes £400 pounds a day for a stay in hospital, that's £16800 pounds for 6 weeks.

Or 19824 Euro for 6 weeks or 23128 for 7 weeks, that's for the bed, so not including any money for drugs, xrays, operations etc.

Include the cost of treatment and you will probably find Majorca works out a bit cheaper.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-DAY-NHS-control-agency-payments-scandal.html

More proof that greedy doctors are bleeding the NHS dry just the same in hospitals as they are in the primary care GP arena.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the Eu working hours directive.

It makes no sense to say that because Drs can only work so many hours you have to fill the gaps with agency workers at triple the price.

The solution would simply be to keep costs down by employing more GPs on a salaried basis.

The problem is Doctors will not take salaried positions up but instead sign up to agencies knowing that the services will have no choice but to come to them when they have noone in post and they hold the NHS to ransome.
I remember bartering to get a GP to cover a bank holiday. I put the session out with the agencies three weeks before the due date but got no takers at £85 an hour until the day before the bank holiday when I had an offer by an agency Dr to cover the shift which was 8hrs for £150 an hour. I bartered him down to £120 an hour. The point being he could have offered to do the shift for £85 three weeks earlier but he waited till the last minute to use that as leverage to increase his fee.

Doctors are greedy parasites who suck the NHS dry or use it for its facilities to earn money from private patients.

The real cost of me running the service should have been £45 an hour which I paid salaried GPs but every single salaried GP left their post and became agency workers.

I had a budget of £500,000 to run the 3 GP surgeries

This was to cover the costs of two full time GPs on 90k a year and a part time GP on 45k a year plus all other staff costs including my managers wage - a practice nurse - and eight part time receptionists . It also had to cover all FM costs including utilities -water - cleaning and clinical waste removal- fire alarm and securiity alarm upkeep . water testing , pat testing , general refuse removal - printing and stationary - medicines purchase and clinical equipment purchase and upkeep - staff training and marketing.

The original 500k budget was taken up like this . .
Premises rental for 3 surgeries from the PCT 45k
rates 10k
nurse 40k
GPs 258k
receptionists 90k
manager 32k
office costs 6k
utilities gas electric water telephones etc 12k
cleaning 6k
This totalled £499k so the budget was extremely tight and was only pheasible becase the first job I did was to source local suppliers for service contracts bringing the initial service budget down from 44k to 16k.
Staff training was either sourced free from the PCT or provided by our head office team.

Things very quickly changed as despite having an easy time and earming 85k a year and having their 9k a year MDU insurance paid every single salaried GP left post and the bill for GPs alone went from a within budget £258k a year to a ridiculous £530k to cover GP costs alone. This was ONLY for two full time and one part time GP making their average salaries £187k a year AFTER the agencies had taken their cut. Think about that even the part time GP was on nearly 100k a year.

GPs only take up salaried positions when they need a mortgage because as locums working for agencies they are not considered credit worthy as they do not have a set salary. This is the reason many GPs run around in cheap cars like 10 year old mercs because they cant get finance to buy new cars. Once they have a few payslips to get their mortgage or property deal through they jump ship and go back onto agency work.

It is a national scandal made even worse because patient care suffers and patients barely see the same GP twice.
patients medications are routinely messed around and noone has a long term plan for patient care or even a simple set of goals like reducing a particular patients cholestrerol or Blood pressure.

Even GPs with their own practices ignore their own patients and do agency work on the side leading to the 200k a year GP.

The BMA squeals everytime GPs are actually asked to do some work for their money and recently fought off a recent govt attempt to get GPs to agree to spend a minimum amount of time looking after their own registered patients before working on the side for agencies.

I know from meetings I went to that GPs who work salaried positions are actually harried by their peers to give up their jobs.
GPs are also pressured by their peers not to take up roles for the private companies providing health care under new contracts because the salaried positions they offer are in danger of spoiling the party.

Sponsored Links
Back