Ni-cd/Ni-MH batteries..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have makita cordless drills with nicd batteries. Can i use the other battery type with them if the fitting is the same?

Sponsored Links
Short answer. Yes.

Basically the drill knows no different, 12V, 18V is 12V, 18V to the drill. But if you want to be 100% sure check the Makita website to see if they are compatible... Personally I don't bother and have been swapping ni-cds for Ni-Mh for ages...

I have makita cordless drills with nicd batteries. Can i use the other battery type with them if the fitting is the same?
absolutly yes if they fit as neds says
the only other thing you need to check is can your charger charge them!!

in general its cheaper to buy a package to get new batteries and a charger with a tool thrown in than buy 2 batteries and a seperate charger

the present battery types are old first nicad nimh and li-ion

if the batteries fit the newer chargers then they are backwards compatable
as in the newest charger will charge all batteries before it at least thats the ryobi and dewalt case and would assume makita are the same

Sponsored Links
Also.. what does the 'ah' rating really signify? From a cursory review on Wilipedia ni-cd batteries seem still a very good value option compared to the other technologies...

Also.. what does the 'ah' rating really signify? From a cursory review on Wilipedia ni-cd batteries seem still a very good value option compared to the other technologies...

The ah stands for amp hour, its basically how long the battery will last, dont ask how but the higher the number the longer it will last before needing a recharge.

As big all will tell you, the volts are the engine and the ah is the fuel tank!

A-H is Ampere-Hours. A one amp hour capacity battery will deliver one Amp of current for an hour before it runs flat (or 2 amps for 30 minutes, 5 Amps for 12 minutes, etc. etc.) The actual figures aren't usually quite linear, but you get the picture.

A 12 Volt 18 Amp Hour battery should deliver about the same amount of energy, or do the about the same amount of work, as an 18 Volt 12 Amp Hour battery.

Different battery technologies may be better for different applications. Some are designed to sustain a small load for a considerable time, where others are more suited to supplying high currents for a short time.

Nickel Cadmium batteries can develop a 'memory' if not subjected to full charge and discharge cycles each time, effectively reducing their capacity.
Ni-Cd chargers often incorporate a discharge function to 'drain' the battery before the charge cycle starts to limit the effect.

IF the fiitting is the same ,Yes.
You may be able to sell the old Ni-Cd charger and batteries on an auction site. Chargers are often stolen from construction sites and often tey are not worth replacing with a brand spanking new one.

If you are disposing of the charger and batteries, take advice from Makita, your municipality, the supplier of your current drill on disposing of your Ni Cads sensibly, but try to fully exhaust them first . The former two should have WEEE section on their websites, the supplier may or may not. Cadmium is a heavy metal that we don't want in the water table.

The smaller Makita NiCad chargers wont take a NiMH battery but the larger ones will, sorry but I can't give any model No's

Thanks.. that's what i'm seeing too.. mine is just a nicad charger so i'll need to get the multicharger unit. Unfortunately, don't see many good value ni-mh based sets.. and on ebay they're price equivalent to lithium stuff....

I've just had a look at one of my chargers and it says on it what it will charge. I've only had it 10 years and never noticed :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back