nic assessment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Eveing all,
Well I've bitten the bullet & signed up for part p (sorry TT) with nic via the uk trades confederation, mainly because I've missed out on a few jobs through not having it.
I will have to have an assessment on two jobs, one completed & one in progress, not for another 5 or 6 weeks but how nervouse do I feel now !
Does anybody have any idea what type of work they will want to look at & what does the assessment involve ?
Oh yes & for anybody that is putting off the part p registration because they haven't got C&G 2381 you have a year to get it from date of signing up.

Sponsored Links
Comms, do you have more money than sense, the UK Trades Confederation are a bunch of freeloaders. The NICEIC assessment is around the £420 mark, UKTC charge £590 according the emails I have recieved and the phone calls, so they charge you £170 for filling in a form!!!

If I were you I would CANCEL immediately, then contact the NICEIC, NAPIT or ELESCA for membership..

comms said:
Does anybody have any idea what type of work they will want to look at?.

They will want to look at electrical installation work

& what does the assessment involve ?.

the assessment involves showing an understanding of it and an understanding of BS7671

Oh yes & for anybody that is putting off the part p registration because they haven't got C&G 2381 you have a year to get it from date of signing up.

I dont have 2381. I only have 2360 part 1, 2360 part 2, 2391, AM 1 and 2, BTEC National and HNC with 20 years experience. Does that mean i only have one year to become qualified> oh dear< i am worried now

Hmm.
Pd sorry to have rubbed you up the wrong way it wasn't intended, new to the industry so was only asking for some advice from those of you that have 20 yrs experience in the game & have done the mentioned assessments.
I only put the bit about 2381 in as when I first enquired about pp was told you cant register without it.
Anyway congratulations on all your qulifications (may be some day I'll have that many to go with my 2360 pt 1 & 2 & onc electronics) shame you can only take the micky(and don't get me wrong i'm up for a p*** take)instead of possibly helping somebody into the electrical industry, I'm sure you remember how hard it is starting out.
But don't take this the wrong way not having a go it's good to get any sort of feedback.

Sponsored Links
comms said:
Hmm.
Pd sorry to have rubbed you up the wrong way it wasn't intended,
Sorry if I came across a bit harsh. I was not making a personal attack. I am just Peed off with the whole Part Poo scam. I too was looking at becoming Part Pee but having looked at the various "scams", I have discovered that I am not suitably qualified!.

No offence was taken Pd, thats the problem with writing replys it doesnt come across as we would like.
This whole part Pee thing just gets everybody narkred dont it.
Anyway off to the fridge for another beer (not to worried about assessment after a few :)
See ya.

pdcelec said:
comms said:
I dont have 2381. I only have 2360 part 1, 2360 part 2, 2391, AM 1 and 2, BTEC National and HNC with 20 years experience. Does that mean i only have one year to become qualified> oh dear< i am worried now

AM1 is part of your C&G 2360 Part 1

paulh53 said:
pdcelec said:
comms said:

paulh53 said:
AM1 is part of your C&G 2360 Part 1

Not when I did it it wasn't. Maybe it is recently.

AM1 was part of C&G 2360 when I Did it in the early 1980s

I did NVQ3, just sat my C&G 2381 a few weeks back. What is a AM1?
Hope to do C&G2391 shortly (providing I pass the 2381 ;) , results in a few weeks)

AM1 is the "Achievement Measurement 1" tests that you normally do during your C&G practical assessments, These are the practical tests that you do during the C&G exams,
There is also the AM2 "Achievement Measurement 2" where the company you work for sends you for this test so you can be JIB "Joint Industries Board" graded,
Don't know if all this still applies today, But it did during the early 1980s when I did my AM1/AM2

Comms
Like you, I am a newbie and have picked up some invaluable tips from the old timers in this forum (no offence Ban) ;)
I took my exams last year but as I took 2360 Pt1 & Pt2 and 2391, I was told I didn't need 2381.
I am going through FULL reg with NICEIC which is much more stringent than Dom Inst, which I think you are doing. Full reg requires you to submit a list of work and they choose 3 jobs to inspect, whereas Dom inst, you nominate 2 jobs (which you have taken extra care over).
The work they want to inspect must be representative of your general tasks.
Tip: Make sure CCU's are IP4X on top surface even if up against the ceiling (use sealant)

When the nic come out to inspect your work they will look for the following things...

There are no code 1's . Which is stuff like no main earth / water / gas bonding , there are no live conductors exposed etc.
Also they will test your knowledge of testing and inspection making you go through your testing procedure and asking you what values you expect to get.
They will expect everything to be installed to the wiring regs and that if there is such things as a 6mm gas bond in place it should be noted as a limitation on your test certs so they know that you know about it not being wired in 10mm.
Your filing system in your office will be checked and you should have things like a complaints procedure in place and a health and safety policy , 2m pound public liability insurance etc

Back from my hols so this is a belated thanks to you all for your replys & advice.
Qedelec it's not cheap starting out is it, but as you say I've also picked up some invaluable advice from the time served & newbie sparks (not forgetting the diyers) so cheers all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back